Windows 7 HD Disk Management

izzyinstl

I have 1 hard disk 3TB....

disk0 shows C 1784.55GB and F 263.45GB
disk1 shows E 746.39

How can I make F show as different disk? Currently there is nothing on F

also this adds up to : 2794.39 not 3 TB should I lose this much?

Last edited:
Hi,
this small guide from Microsoft will show you how to change the letter on the partition:
Changing, adding or removing a drive letter - Windows Help

You will have some of the 3TB taken up by hidden partitions and things like Pagefiles and System restore. These can be configured separately to obtain more space but as you have plenty I wouldn't worrry.. :)

Thank you for your response. I guess I may need to post this on windows 10 help... if I try to install 10 The Disk1 is not showing up to allow me to install on it. I did shrink the C drive and create a partition and successfully install 10 there but it did not see the Disk1 drive (E) this is where I keep all my music.

My installation is dual boot 7 and 10 .. 7 still sees disk1 and all content fine but when I boot to 10 i does not see that drive.

I have moved all the data files to C drive and deleted the partition in the disk1 but I cant delete the drive ( I thought maybe I could get all on C drive ) then go from there.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Is there any chance you could take a screenshot of your Disk management and post it?

win7manager.jpg
Ok here is the windows 7 manager screen shot ... windows 10 does not recognize the disk1 at all

Try using this application. It has a free download although you do have register but many friends swear by this:
EasyBCD

I'm also going ask a colleague to take a look as he's very good with this sort of thing..

I am not sure exactly what you want to do. Because F is an OS partition, it probably needs to stay the same for the Boot system.

You have a 3 TB drive configured as MBR. Those will only show as 2.2 TB without some type of special software. That software may be involved.

What kind of drive is Disk 1? It almost looks like it is actually the space on Disk 0. Maybe the software is fooling Disk Management.

It also appears you have two Media card slots which are using Drive Letters...

Maybe open an Administrative Command Prompt and type the following. Then copy and past the results.

Diskpart
list disk

Ok thanks guys! I just want to be able to access the disk1 which I use for file storage of music etc.. on windows 10.
I can still access on win 7 when I boot there but when booting to 10 ....does not see it.

I will post the diskpart results next

Thanks Again

Last edited:
diskpart.jpg

On my computer it shows

C Drive 1.38 TB free of 1.90
E New Volume 746 GB free of 746
F Windows 10 97.5 GB free of 97.6 GB ( i have deleted win 10)

There is only one hard drive in the computer ...it is a WD30EZRX 3.0 TB

Last edited:
You have never mentioned if you do actually have two Hard Drives on your system. I still think it is a faux drive and Windows 10 may not be compatible.

Can you create a partition on the unallocated space on Drive 0?

The asterisk on the right end of the Disk 1 listing, normally identifies a drive as a GPT configuration. In this case, it may be related to the software. If it were a real drive, you should have no problem accessing it.

Yes Only 1 Hard Disk (stated in my very 1st post)

Can you create a partition on the unallocated space on Drive 0? NO it is unaccessable

looks like disk1 is a faux i think it is a
AcronisVBusVirtualDisk ... AVD as shown on drive properties above jpg :( so there is no way windows 10 can see this drive?

Yes Only 1 Hard Disk (stated in my very 1st post)
Sorry, I took that to mean you had one 3 TB hard drive but just wanted to make sure you did not have another one. The fact you were asking about another drive confused me.

Can you create a partition on the unallocated space on Drive 0? NO it is inaccessible
Possibly Windows 10 is just not compatible with that configuration. There may be some info on the Acronis site...

Ok I will look into .. I think the first time i upgraded to win 10 (not dual boot) it did see the drive. I will try that again and see if it recognizes it that way. But I really wanted the dual boot Thanks for your time guys!!!

Back