Windows 7 HDD failure warning

uldreg

HDD failure warning [Solved]

Hey there.
I was wondering if there's any way to disable the annoying "inc HDD failure" warning that shows up whenever I'm booting my computer up.

Here's a picture of said warning:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

To be honest I don't want to backup anything since I've got all my important documents on my thumb drive and the ask me later option just closes the pop-up and doesn't do anything but prolong the warning till the next start up.

Last edited:
Not to be a total sarcastic butt, I think it may be time to replace your HDD. Either that or a reformat and reinstall is in your future. Windows is detecting something very bad with your HDD. I would also take a look at running HD Tune and see what is wrong with it.

I have another HDD ready but I want to use this one till it dies, explodes or whatever.
I have all of my important stuff backed up and wouldn't lose anything important if the HDD would die at some point.
I just want to get rid of the damn error messages for good.

I can only think of editing the registry but I have not tried to edit for anything similar to this.

Disabling the warning (if even possible) is akin to removing the wire from the "Check Engine" light in your car because you don't believe anything to be wrong. The problem may be as simple as a weak sector or faint recording of a critical file. You may be able to prolong the life of your "failing" drive simply by reformatting it and reinstalling the OS. If it fails, it fails, but at least you'll know. And I like the idea (from mp3sgt) of using disk diagnostics to try and identify/isolate the problem. That's my two cents, anyway.

Disabling the warning (if even possible) is akin to removing the wire from the "Check Engine" light in your car because you don't believe anything to be wrong. The problem may be as simple as a weak sector or faint recording of a critical file. You may be able to prolong the life of your "failing" drive simply by reformatting it and reinstalling the OS. If it fails, it fails, but at least you'll know. And I like the idea (from mp3sgt) of using disk diagnostics to try and identify/isolate the problem. That's my two cents, anyway.

No it's more like the check engine light is a billboard that jumps into your face and speaks like Jar-Jar Binks informing you of a problem with the engine that you fucking know about and don't give a shit about because it's a crash-test car.

That's why I want to disable that warning, this computer is so old and useless that I don't really care what happens to it.

Hello :)

You may want to take a look at the quoted text below, its found Link Removed - Invalid URL (post #5) - and it seems to be your solution.

Hi Guys,

I have just posted the attached on the Windows Help Forums and think it may help. It probably not appropriate to redirect you, so will repost.

My appologies upfront, it is far from technical or well written, following a fairly sleepless night to resolve this issue on two systems.

Essentially I set out to find why I was getting disconnects on an XBOX 360 Extender Session under Vista and found that the Diagnostic Policy Service (DPS) was at fault.

I am sure others can now come up with a better resolution, but hopefully this will give you a quick fix to your issues and put others in the right ball park to work on a better fix.

Regards Steve B

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by myself to WindowsHelp Forums
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Again,

A couple of hours sleep and I have solved my own connection terminated
issues on the Xbox 360. It appears that my hunch was correct on this occasion
with the issue being around an alert / popup attempting to warn the Xbox360
session of impending harddrive failure based upon SMART data. (Disabling
Smart in the Bios had no effect).

I would imagine there is a far more elegant way to do this, but for
simplicity I did the following.

opened Group Policy Editor - i.e. execute gpedit.msc

Navigate - to the following setting

local computer policy
computer configuration
administrative templates
system
troubleshooting and diagnostics
disk diagnostic
disk diagnostic: configure execution level

Double Click or Properties on this value and set it to disabled. nb. Not
configured is enabled by default.

Close the Group Policy Editor, no reboot or reset of services is required.
Any Disk / Smart related errors will now simply be written to the log with
the end user not given various popups on corrective course of action.

I hope that this help others overcome this problem. I doubt very much that
this is the best approach, but at the very least it quickly allowed me to
identify the root cause of my connectivity issues.

My closing thoughts are just why exactly is DPS warning Extender Sessions of
of S.M.A.R.T. and potentially other faults. These will never be displayed and
will obviously lead to Termination of Connections.

Kind Regards
TwinA

Well if your not worried you are going to lose your hard drive :rolleyes:
No biggy as you point out so have a nice day :D

Back