Windows 7 HDD issue. No not indexing, WORSE

microbious

i found ton of posts ppl talking about vista trashing hard drive due to some search indexing or something. NOt sure why caz i have it disabled..
Anyway my problem is not the same, instead i want my hard drive to run all the time like they did back in windows XP.

Because W7 stops my hard drives to spin (some say it still providing data ? it does but very little stored in cache or ram) i cant load my programs instantly like i did with XP.
I cant even access any folders, i have to wait for hard drive to start spinning and it takes about 2-3 seconds (slow as hell)

I have 5 hard drives and shortcuts leading to multiple programs/games/URL links and documents. Problem is that then i try to access any of them, it takes a while before simple TXT file loads.

Is there a fix or a way to stop windows 7 to prevent HDD from spinning ?

People talk about having some kind of program run all the time making sure hdd done stop. I cant run 5 apps on 5 hdd's at once, that would be stupid.
Also they say to try changing power option. There is no HDD spin option in advanced menu, only turn off after "Never"
Weird

Last edited:
Go in to power management options, click the advanced options link. In there scoll to hard-drive and set it to 0 (zero). Once you hit apply it should then say "never". Now your HDD will stay active as long as the PC is turned on.

Also they say to try changing power option. There is no HDD spin option in advanced menu, only turn off after "Never"
Weird
I already know about that thanks. Its not helping.
Do i need to restart after changing these settings ?

gosh restarting is such a pain in the rear :(

Later that day
restart didnt help, still hdd's stop spin

Last edited:
any other ideas ?

Yes, turn off all the applications you have running.. use Msconfig and uncheck everyting under startup --- if you didn't already....

THEN run Task Scheduler and turn off ALL tasks... Just disable them.

Make sure you have Indexing turned off ALL drives.. you have to go into the drive properties from Computer to do that.. uncheck the box.... all that indexing is nonsenses. There is a little FREE program called Super Finder XT that works faster than an indexed drive and it never has to build tables and such.

Reboot and enjoy a clean mean Windows 7

there are 31 tasks scheduled
should i remove them all ?
caz i think some of them are system tasks.

can i just disable task scheduler service ?

yes.. but show me how.. it's grayed out over here so I had to do them one at a time

Once upon a time you could go into the task scheduler and use an advanced option to just turn it off... now that advanced option only gives you some kind of disk clean option

I may just change the path in the properties to load something harmless or rename taskschd.msc to something eles so it cant find it.

hmm
Task Scheduler service grayed out ?
if so then just do the command:

net stop "Schedule"
net start "Schedule"
sc config "Schedule" start= disabled
sc config "Schedule" start= auto
sc config "Schedule" start= demand

u get the idea
I also remember i had problems with other programs and components that depend on task scheduler so i dont think its safe to disable it. I think i tested it once and ended up with problems.

So what i did was i deleted all tasks folder and restarted computer
Seems like that worked or works so far :)

and what is wrong with this site, each forum automatically subscribed for ? this is annoying.

9 th try... net stop "Schedule" Access denied

I don't need it off... I just like to be the master of my universe ....at least until my computer starts paying ME.

there are 31 tasks scheduled
should i remove them all ?
caz i think some of them are system tasks.

I *THINK* if windows NEEDS them they will be running under services... and even that doesn't mean windows NEEDS them... they just want all those services to be running incase.

ok i have a solution for u
want to be a master, become administrator.

net user administrator /active:yes
net user yourname /active:no
net user yourname /delete

Delte does not deletes your files so u are safe.
keep in mind that when i switch to administrator, most of your custom settings will have to be set again. settings such as desktop icons and folder preferences.

This is what i do the very fist time when i login to windows after fresh windows 7 install is finished so i can be sure i will get the rest installed without any problems or restrictions.

ok i have a solution for u
want to be a master, become administrator.

net user administrator /active:yes
net user yourname /active:no
net user yourname /delete

Delte does not deletes your files so u are safe.
keep in mind that when i switch to administrator, most of your custom settings will have to be set again. settings such as desktop icons and folder preferences.

This is what i do the very fist time when i login to windows after fresh windows 7 install is finished so i can be sure i will get the rest installed without any problems or restrictions.

To be TRUE master you can rename magnify.exe and copy cmd.exe to magnify.exe THEN enable Guest.... when you reboot use the Magnify option in the Ease of Access menu BEFORE you log on.... and run WhoAmI voilla you are "SYSTEM" way above Administrator... nothing can stop you now!

Oh.... and you have a backdoor.. you can run Msconfig and go to tools and run User account control settings and demote your administrator or anything else you want to do.

All your data are belong to us.

Last edited:
rename magnify.exe and copy cmd.exe to magnify.exe THEN enable Guest... ?
how can i copy cmd.exe to magnify.exe ?
am not sure i understand this instructions but very interested :)

rename magnify.exe and copy cmd.exe to magnify.exe THEN enable Guest... ?
how can i copy cmd.exe to magnify.exe ?
am not sure i understand this instructions but very interested :)

Suppose you replaced notepad.exe with regedit.exe what would happen everytime you called on notebook to edit a text file? Regedit would come up instead of notebook.

1. Enable Guest account under user accounts so you have the login screen when you boot

2. Reboot and Notice the ease of access menu on the loging screen...

3. play around with it... you can see options like magnify that are available BEFORE anyone logs on

4. Logon to your normal account that has administrator privledges and replace \windows\system32\magnify.exe with \windows\system32\cmd.exe

Note... You can do this either by going to propertties of magnify.exe and elevating your
TrustedInstaller privledges under Security ...or the easier way is to use "takedow" and "icals" to do it
from a command prompt. (I'll let you do some reasearch and figure that out so you can learn.)

5. Reboot and when you get to the login go to the ease of access menu and select magnify.
Since Magnify is NOW actually cmd.exe you will get to a command prompt.

6. Run WhoAmI and see you are "System" You are no longer in a lower group like Admnistrator

7. At this level there are no restrictions... except windows explorer can't run because it really doesn't know
who you are and what access you have. BUT you can run most other programs and delet, copy and rename any files that would normally be protected from everyone, including Adminstrator. Run windows explorer.. surf the web.... and another interesting thing is there are few tracks of your activities... not much logging... maybe soeme browser history and new temp files.. but it really doesn't know WHO did it... and maybe some files ... like the registry files will have newer dates. It's a pretty sneaky backdoor... but it does give you full power to do some things that you would have remove or lower the entire security of every file on your computer to do.. which would be just about impossible to restore without a new install. There are over 1,000 protected system files... you would never figure out which ones to change back if you changed them all .

There are more detalis in my blogs and on my website win7secrets.com

interesting
am not sure i want to do this due to my programing that is made for ppl who are not system.
Maybe ill do it some time later for testing.
Thanks or explanation.

Back