Windows 7 Hello from 8

Drew

Banned
Hi. Just thought I'd say "Hello from Windows8" :) I have been running it as a vm since mid-Sept. It is, certainly, interesting, very fast, slick & w/ some features & changes that are quite a voyage of discovery. I am anxious to see what I'll get once start actually testing the Beta, which is yet to be made available to us from MS. Right now I am only using the Developer Preview. 1 neat thing about it is Spell Check, that is normally (in the past) available in OFFICE (Word, etc) is everywhere; even as I write this note.

I'd like to add my "Hello!" as well, from Windows 8 and Firefox 7.0.1

Firefox has always had a spell checker, so I'm guessing you're using I.E.10 ??
I've never met an IE that I liked, so Firefox is my Browser of choice.

With the Metro UI turned off by a quick registry tweak, W8 is pretty cool. The desktop quickly reverts to a Windows XP look-a-like, without having to install a Classic Shell or anything like that.
My Win-8 Desktop:
MyDeskTop.jpg

I'm on Win-8 now and I encourage others to give it a try as well. I'm using a spare HD for Win-8 so it does not interact in any way with my main OS. Unlike some earlier offerings from MS, this one looks like it may be a keeper. Only time will tell.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

No, I wasn't rreferring to any browser, although, I have FF7, IE9 is my preferred browser. I meant Spell Check is now throught the entire OS, not a browser issue. But, yes, I am using IE10 in Win8

Cheers,
Drew

Drew
Which VM are you using? I've got VMware Workstation 7.1 but haven't upgraded to the new one yet it looks like it still has bugs. 7.1 isn't compatible with Windows 8.
Joe

VirtalBox. Normally, for all my other, prior VMs, use Windows VPC but, Win8 wouldn't load in that but, does using VirtualBox.

You all might be interested in the Windows8Forums. There is quite a bit of info starting there.

I did originally have Win 8 DP installed in VB, but had problems networking to my other PC's (Including Win 7 on the same OS) so I got rid of the VM and partitioned and dual booted Win 7 and Win 8 DP.

Cool suggestion, Ted. I will consider it, look @ it. Although, I already write (about Win8) in the Microsoft IT Pro Windows 8 Tech Forum... can get challenging trying to get to everything.

I may do a multi-boot approach, also, once notified to start the Win8 Beta testing. Plus, by then, I'm expecting Win8 to load in a Win VPC vm which would be more appealing than, VB.

Cheers,
Drew

Ted
I Quit using VB and went to VMware Workstation a long time ago because it was a pain to network VB. Back then you had to go to a bridged network. I don't know if they ever simplified it.
Joe

& I sure like/prefer Windows VPC over VB. If, I chose to have Win8 as a VM once I'm notified to start beta testing (it) I sure hope it'll work in VPC. I was pretty choked when the Dev Preview would not install as a VPC vm.

Drew

Drew
The new VMware Player is out and susposedly works with Windows 8. It won't install if you have other VMware installed. The Player version just before that allowed you to create the VM where earlier versions didn't.
Joe

Thanks, Joe. Might take a look @ it, soon. No worries, as I've not had any prior VMware... Just Microsoft VPC, followed by Windows VPC; well & the go w/ VB & I'm not too keen on it.

Drew

I just did not like the hit to how quickly Win 8 DP ran in a VM. At the time I had 4 GB Ram with half allocated to the VM and half to the host (Win 7). I have since upgraded to 8 GB Ram, but am now pleased with my dual boot system so do not have the time now to play with the VM again. Under the dual boot senario, Win 8 DP runs very quickly, just as Win 7 does. When the beta is released, I suspect I will just install directly over the DP and continue in the dual boot senario. Perhaps if I ever want to play with Linux again, the VM will be the way to go.

Ted, I went through the same thing when beta testing Vista & Win7 for Microsoft. Faster as a dual-boot than as a VM. I do find 8 fast as a VM, except for starting up; once it's loaded & running it's fast... But, by the time I get to running say the RTM as a non-vm, I'm expecting the speed will be mind-blowing.

Of course, with 8G RAM, how could it possibly be slow ;) Heck, I only assigned 1G to my Win8 Dev Preview vm & the Host Box has 4G, but, the Win8 is still pretty darned quick.

Cheers,
Drew

Actually VMware recommends 1 gig ram for workstation. They say assiginig to much actually slows down the VM.
Joe

I might have tried this after discarding VM. Now I am pretty happy with the dual boot senario. I do not see any obvious advantage to using this method, but then again I am new to this entire VM experience.

The real advantage is not having the hassle of creating a real partition. Some factory units already have so many partitions that you can't add another one that is bootable. I hear Dell is good at that. I'll try it as soon as I get the time. I made the Virtual HD and have the ISO burned to disk.
Joe

Ted,

Basically there are 2 advantages. 1) as Joe said, it avoids being able (ie having an available partion or drive) to install the (test) OS on it's own, separate real estate & 2) it overcomes all & any limitations of a traditional VM (ie uses & access fully the same hardware,etc. as, say, the main Windows 7 OS. Nor does the method use up any significant space & it, also, avoids even needing to have any virtual software like, Windows VPC, VirtualBox, VMware or whatever.

Cheers,
Drew

Well I got it installed and working on the virtual hard disk. I hate the tiles I'll look into customizing it later. I'll have to do some exploring on it. Otherwise it seems to run good. I'll have to see what other tweaks from Windows 7 still work like starting without password.
Joe

Back