Windows 7 Help! BSOD / Virtual Memory Paging

xout

Okay, so I was trying to 'tweak' my laptop (HP DV7-1130us) which was recently upgraded to windows 7 home premium.

I went into System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory
There, stupidly, I tried to maximize my memory speed and set a custom paging allocation of Minimum 4,096 and maximum 4,096 (my ram is 4 GBs, but only 2.75 usable...) I set it, and restarted.

Now I get a blue screen after the Windows Starting loading screen.

I ran startup repair, and even let it restore my pc to an earlier point, which did not work.

I can boot the PC in safe mode.

Please help me.

Last edited:
Xout, if you can boot into 'safe-mode' why not try 'last known config'?

If you can boot into safe-mode can you not change the pagefile back?

Tried using the same method of which I orginally messed it up, and it only let's me allocate 1000 MHz bc only 256 are usable in safe mode. Is there a way to edit the normal file in the registry or something?

Ok.. Thanks for that, stuff like that really helps..:)

Try taking all your RAM out bar one stick and see if you can boot up and change everyhting back to default settings.
Failing that, try booting from disk and doing a clean install.. If that fails then you might have to clear the bios but I doubt it.

Thank you very much kemical for your help.

Unfortunately, I removed one stick of ram, and it still wouldn't boot.

All I have is a windows 7 upgrade disc (nothing else, I never made a restart disc... stupidly) , and it won't even boot from disc. The drive runs, but the screen stays black (been like this for 15 minutes)

What exactly would the BIOS clearing do? And how would I go about doing that?

To clear the bios refer to your motherboard manual or if you can't find that, you can do this in two ways. One, is to take the bios battery out for a minute or two (30 seconds is long enough but leave it bit longer to make sure) or there will be a jumper on your motherboard (usually near the case connectors for HDD light and so on) Sometimes it's a case of either shorting the jumper out by using a special jumper connection or just holding a screwdriver in such a way as to short the jumper out (this is why your motherboard manual is handy).
Anyway removing the battery will do it.. The bios will then return to factory defaults so you'll have to set it all up again but at least you'll have a working pc....Hopefully..:)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I took out a watch like battery, which is what I am assuming was the motherboard battery. I held down the power button for 3 seconds, and then replaced it.

Link Removed due to 404 Error - This is what I get.

I have pressed both options, and it boots up the same way too a blue screen. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks, I will try that later tonight.

Haha... I checked the warranty status. It ran out of warranty, 10/29/09. As in, yesterday. Literally.

Sorry to hear about the warranty :eek:.. Please let me know what you end up doing?

Back
Top Bottom