Windows 8 HELP > Cannot completely override display language

Niki

Hello.

I'm currently using Windows 8.1. I bought my laptop from Japan so I had to change the language of the system. I was able to change the welcome screen, toolbar, regional, keyboard layout, and other language-related stuff. However, when I go to the welcome screen, the Desktop tab still reads De-su-ku-to-ppu in katakana, and other applications such as Paint, Wordpad, Camera, and also the 'Settings' in PC Settings is still displayed in Kanji.

Please help. Thanks :)

I've done some screenshots.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Your system needs updates.

Did you re-set the primary language to English or just add it?
Screenshot (56).png

My OS is up-to-date. I've downloaded the language pack thru the Control Panel before. English is also set as the Primary language. I really don't know how to solve this. It's quite a hassle because I can't search the apps in English.

Thanks for the replies!

Untitled.png

It's your system m8 but a fully updated 8.1 should have a power and search icon in the top right corner of the metro screen which your above screenshot doesn't show. nevermind.

Screenshot (58).png

You could try removing all the languages currently installed; Japanese, English (us) and Philippines and add something completely new like English (uk) or Spanish… turn off file snyc so the Microsoft store doesn't interfere, helpfully loading your saved profile from the cloud and reboot (that’s a shutdown not just a restart) the system. This should tell the computer to rebuild the language screen from the available options i.e English (uk) and you could then add English (us) or whatever back in once you get rid of the Japanese… assuming some app isn't still using Japanese but with the store un-snyc-ed I can't see how.

This is my metro screen, in case you are wondering:

Untitled.png

As you can see, the other applications are named/displayed in English, but the other apps are not. :/

I'm afraid to do that 'coz I might probably end up having a Japanese notice screen and I do not understand much Japanese. :/ When my laptop goes BSOD, it's in complete Japanese. @_@

...and just now I pressed Help in the sidebar, it directly sent me to a Japanese site of Windows Help. I think this might be a regional problem?

Last edited:
Ok well lets assume you don’t want to learn Japanese;

1. Purchase a new laptop hdd of at least 500g but 1 terabit is about the same price so I’d go with that.

2. Remove the old hdd and put it in your cupboard… now you have a back up for when things go wrong.

3. Put the new hdd in the laptop and install windows 8… I’m assuming it started with 8 and you grabbed the free upgrade so that would make the key stored in your bios a windows 8 key. In any event you still have your back up and a new hdd is MUCH cheaper than a replacement laptop.

Hi

You could put your old hard drive in a USB enclosure and have all your data available, or you could buy one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-DriveWire-Universal-Adapter-ADW-USB-KIT/dp/B000QY9KIS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1419187951&sr=8-8&keywords=USB Hard drive adapter?

It will adapt virtually any hard drive to USB, I've had mine for years and had many times when I needed it i.e. when my wifes laptop died I was able to recover all her data from it with no hassles.

When my computer was hit by lightning I was able to save all the data from my hard drives even though the computer was completely dead.

Once you have your new hard drive setup, you can just plug it in and transfer any data that you need from it.

Mike

Back