Windows 7 Help new computer stuck on update 7 of 21

jacy

Hello all,
I just gave my wife a Hp mini with windows 7 starter and we have a problem!
It started with "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 7 of 21 .."
Now after 5 hours I decided to turn it off and try this again but when it starts back up it goes straight to the update. Please help I am not a computer guru and this is what she really wanted for christmas.
Thanks

Can you get out of the update mode at all? If you can get to Windows Update, like maybe through using F8 during boot to get to safe mode, maybe you could set the Windows update to not automatic.

I personally do not believe Microsoft should have even sold a starter version, but I have not used it and know nothing about its capabilities.

Just for future reference, do you have the install DVD? If it does not have a DVD drive, do you have anything you could use to repair the install?

Last edited:
No when you restart it goes right back to the update page.It is like it is hung on this.and can't get out. I will look in the box and see about the install dvd and see if that helps.

I must assume you are talking about the boot page where it says installing update x of x and 20% done or whatever numbers you have.

I would think you could get into safe mode with the F8 key prior to this time, but I cannot test to find out. Hp may have another way to intercept the boot.

If you can find no way to stop the loop and HP doesn't know, see if you can use the Repair function of the install DVD to restore you system back to where it was before the updates started. Then set Windows to not automatically update.

If that doesn't work, maybe a startup repair from the same area on the install DVD. Let it work up to 3 times to fix your startup problems.

If you do not have an Install DVD and HP did not give you a restore disk of some type, you might be able to download a Win 7 repair disk from the net. I do not know how it will behave with the Win 7 version HP is using.

If you got it at a retail store, could they look at it if HP doesn't help?

What model is it?

I saw some other threads with your same problem, but no solution was shown.

Last edited:
Hey I got it!!!!!:p Thanks Saltgrass!!! What I did was removed the battery with it still on. Do not know if that was good for it but it unstuck it and working fine now and unchecked auto updates. Thanks for the help greatly appreiciated and all is good in the household now. Whew.

You will probably have to do manual updates until you at least get past the one causing you problems. I always set mine up so Windows will ask before doing any updates so I can check them. I have had a couple of times when the drivers being updated that way caused me problems.

Glad you got it working and thanks for the info.

Back