Windows 7 Help troubleshooting connection

racinj

Cant connect to web using Dlink DPR1260. I connect a desktop (wired) to dlink this is wireless to netgear router.

Things that work. If I move PC to other room and hardwire to Netgear all is fine. Can down load printer driver for printer that is connected to the Dlink.
I have the PC set to Static IP for both PC and Dlink. DHCP gave the exact same results.

PC shows connected to net.
Problems: If I open IE8 by default it opens MSN. This errors out. But if I type in Google.com it opens and I can read all header in Google ONLY.
If I open a CMD prompt I can ping google with not loss packets. If I ping MSN it timesout everytime.
I cannot donwload any updates for windows 7. This is a fresh install, No adobe, No Office, Just standard install with Harddrive formatted prior to install.
Now I have had this Dlink print server for a couple of years now without any problems running WinXP Pro 32 bit.

This problem is with either 32 or 64 bit Win 7.
Please if you have an Idea post. I have been reading and reading to no avail.

HELP
racinj

Cant connect to web using Dlink DPR1260. I connect a desktop (wired) to dlink this is wireless to netgear router.

Things that work. If I move PC to other room and hardwire to Netgear all is fine. Can down load printer driver for printer that is connected to the Dlink.
I have the PC set to Static IP for both PC and Dlink. DHCP gave the exact same results.

PC shows connected to net.
Problems: If I open IE8 by default it opens MSN. This errors out. But if I type in Google.com it opens and I can read all header in Google ONLY.
If I open a CMD prompt I can ping google with not loss packets. If I ping MSN it timesout everytime.
I cannot donwload any updates for windows 7. This is a fresh install, No adobe, No Office, Just standard install with Harddrive formatted prior to install.
Now I have had this Dlink print server for a couple of years now without any problems running WinXP Pro 32 bit.

This problem is with either 32 or 64 bit Win 7.
Please if you have an Idea post. I have been reading and reading to no avail.

HELP
racinj

Have you rebooted the router?

also, test the wlan autoconfig service setting and try turning off or on... you'll have to reboot after resetting.

wlan autoconfig polls the wireless lan every 60 seconds to look for a better connection.. this causes problems for gamers because it creates a short delay. Perhapy your system isn't recovering correctlly.

I have rebooted several times. Will look at wlan autoconfig. Its just odd that I had 0 problems with XP and nothing but probs with 7

Rebooted routers+reset Wlan = nothing. In CMD line I can ping my main router but cannot access via IP address with browser. Still can get to Google and headers but no access to links sys just hangs.

Windows 7 has some kind of problems with routers. About 3 times I've had to reboot my router because when I rebooted or started windows it wouldn't connect. Nothing I could do with my compuer would get me back online.. but rebooting my router without doing anythign to my compuer fixed it.

I tend to think that since you can get limited access, something is getting in the way.. conficting... rather than something like drivers being broken. If drivers were broken you would not get partial connections.

I wonder.. does it mess up when you move your mouse ? Maybe usb and network card are fighting?

Were there any helpful reports in the administative logs under event viewer....
did the trouble shooting feature in Win 7 indicate any problems?

Are all your scheduled tasks turned off?

You can temporarily turn off the task scheduler .. rather than trying to turn the off one at a time.

You'll need these commands to turn it off:

takeown /f c:\windows\system32\taskschd.msc /a
icacls c:\windows\system32\taskschd.msc /grant administrators:f
cd c:\windows\system32
ren taskschd.msc taskschd.mscc

Here is a MICROSOFT tool to fix some connection problems they know about

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Back
Top Bottom