Windows 7 Help with ei.cfg

donbailey

I have downloaded W7 from a few places and I cannot get the ei.cfg trick to work. I have tried two ways. BTW, I use magic ISO, which I am starting to believe is the problem. I d/l the ISO and open it with MI, then delete the ei.cfg file and save as an ISO file, burn to DVD. That gives me a blank DVD. The other thing I tried was to load the ISO and then extract all the files, delete the ei.cfg file and then create a new ISO and burn to DVD. This second method gives an error when I boot up. Also, when I burn the originally downloaded ISO, it works just fine. One other thing - I am using a DVD+RW to do all the above.

Microsoft's official answer:

EI.cfg

EI.cfg is a Windows Setup-specific configuration file used to determine what edition and license will be used during installation. This file replaces PID.txt and is located on the product media under the \sources folder. If you are creating custom installation media—for example, recovery media—make sure the settings in your EI.cfg file match the installation sources. EI.cfg is a text-based file with the following format:

Copy Code

[EditionID]{Edition ID}[Channel]{Channel Type}[VL]{Volume License}

Where {Edition ID} must be a valid Windows Edition ID. Use ImageX /info or DISM /Get-WimInfo to get the current EditionID. {Channel Type} can be OEM or Retail. {Volume License} can be 1 (True) or 0 (False). For example,

Copy Code

[EditionID]Ultimate[Channel]OEM[VL]0

What a crock, why make it so difficult to install this special version of Windows.

Windows Setup Installation Process

When you choose Copy Code, it goes into the clipboard.

MagicISO will not work, you need UltraISO, or possibly another one.

Back