Windows 7 Help with extensions please

pamaples

Windows 7 seems to be more "fluffy" than useful now. My main point of contention is that I am unable to select the entire file name including the extension without extra clicks. I have written a database and am in the process of assembling hyperlinks for many fields; every table has a hyperlink field to point to documents. A hyperlink needs the file extension in order to open the file. I have more than 250,000 links to assemble.

In XP it was easy enough to click on a file name, click again to get the entire name highlighted then use keyboard shortcuts to get the directory and file name WITH extension pasted into my fields. Now. I must click the document, click again and everything EXCEPT the extension is highlighted, click again to un-highlight, click again and manually highlight the whole file name then copy and paste. Too many extra steps for so many hyperlinks! Must I now write a macro to overcome microsoft's omission just because someone there decided that I really didn't need those pesky file extensions?

QUESTION: is there a way to force windows explorer to highlight the entire file name including the extension? Not just display it, I already tried unchecking the box for "hide extension of known file types" in folder options.

If there is not remedy or work around, is there a better way to assemble hyperlinks in access? (I know, that is a question for another forum...)

You should be able to bulk rename file extensions by using the command prompt
Put your files that require the extensions renamed into a single folder
Hold the shift key and right click the folder and choose
Open command window here
then type
ren *.html *.htm or whatever the current file extension is to whatever the extension you want it to be.

ctrl-A will highlight the entire name including extension - is that any help?

Extensions.JPG

You, also, might want to check that the box shown in this screen shot is NOT checked.

Regards,
Drew

Windows 7 seems to be more "fluffy" than useful now. My main point of contention is that I am unable to select the entire file name including the extension without extra clicks. I have written a database and am in the process of assembling hyperlinks for many fields; every table has a hyperlink field to point to documents. A hyperlink needs the file extension in order to open the file. I have more than 250,000 links to assemble.

In XP it was easy enough to click on a file name, click again to get the entire name highlighted then use keyboard shortcuts to get the directory and file name WITH extension pasted into my fields. Now. I must click the document, click again and everything EXCEPT the extension is highlighted, click again to un-highlight, click again and manually highlight the whole file name then copy and paste. Too many extra steps for so many hyperlinks! Must I now write a macro to overcome microsoft's omission just because someone there decided that I really didn't need those pesky file extensions?

QUESTION: is there a way to force windows explorer to highlight the entire file name including the extension? Not just display it, I already tried unchecking the box for "hide extension of known file types" in folder options.

If there is not remedy or work around, is there a better way to assemble hyperlinks in access? (I know, that is a question for another forum...)

Think that was addressed in the OP.

Thanks folks.

Trouble, I don't need to rename them just be able to select them. And Drew, the ctrl+a works but its still another step to perform. I can do click, pause, click, pause, ctr+A, ctr+C, Alt+Tab, ctr+V. This is an operating system; is there something I can do deeeeep in its entrails to force it to comply with my wishes? Somewhere in the code there must be an event procedure for what do do when a user clicks on a file name.

Actually I think that, that was patcooke who suggested the Ctrl+A thingy.
Hate recommending third party software solutions, but you may find this useful. I downloaded and followed the instructions put the folder (just the Copy Filename folder) into C:\Program Files, ran the .reg file and it works well for doing what I think you are attempting to do and looks like it will save you a click or two in the process.
Basically it adds the "Copy filename" feature to the right click menu, and you get the name plus the extension. http://www.gnostice.com/nl_article.asp?id=168
Good Luck and let us know.
Regards
Randy

if you want to process the filenames programatically you could use a command line to send the entire listing of filenames to a text file. At a command prompt:

dir /b > filename.txt

Oooooh! That looks good too. I don't need to use my forms to enter data; I could just put it right into the tables. The path will be the same for every document in a specific folder.

Is it dir /b > filename.txt where the directory referred to is the one that has the focus when I bring up the command prompt? (It has been a very long time since my dos days) and "filename" is the document I create to receive the names?

Yes - you could create a table comprising just the file names. dir defaults to the directory which has the focus, you may alternativel define the source in the command: dir D:\temp/ etc
filename.txt is the file which will contain the list and may also be defined, eg:

E:\temp\dirList.txt

Here's a handy full spec of the dir command:

DOS Command: DIR

You can also just open the command prompt from your current location:
Press and hold the Shift key and right click on the folder or drive that you want to open a command prompt with the focus at, and click on Open Command Window Here.

There are also ways different ways to copy the filepath of entire folders to paste into notepad (or anywhere):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...older-to/5a4b8da9-123a-4c98-b4aa-1260b38409a2

If you want, there is also free 3rd party apps to put a "copy filename" in the menu context:
http://www.extrabit.com/copyfilenames/

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I go out in the field quite a lot so have been absent. Randy, I installed the registry edit you suggested and it went in to the right click menu but does not actually copy the file name or path but only selects a program to open the document. Sad, because that would have been the ticket.

Sorry that didn't work for you (I can right click any file and choose copy filename which puts it in the clipboard and then I can paste it anywhere (text file, spreadsheet cell, database table cell, etc.)), but I actually liked patcooke's idea better anyway. Link Removed - Invalid URL
Have you tried that?

I think it is because it put the options in the menu in the same partition as the "open" options. I used Zvit's link: Copy filenames to the Windows clipboard with CopyFilenames v3.1 and this one works. I am so happy I could burst! Thank you Zvit!

Now, how to get those other two out of the menu...? (I have never been into the registry of any modern computer.) I could just ignore them I suppose.

Pam
If you are talking about the one that I provided then;
[h=4]How To Uninstall[/h] To uninstall one of these context menu extensions, navigate to the C:\Program Files\Copy Pathname or the C:\Program Files\Copy Filename folder in Windows Explorer and run the Uninstall_Copy_Pathname.reg or Uninstall_Copy_Filename.reg file.
SOURCE: Copy File Path and Name using Windows Explorer Context Menu Extensions

I like the fact that you know it's a striper. And yes Santa has to have an elf or two, after all, tis the season.
Happy Holidays
Randy

Back