Windows 7 HELPPP - can't log in - no keyboard USB support suddenly

TKR99

I've had some recent issues with Win 7 not acting properly, and the latest now is where I seem to have lost my keyboard support for some reason. I know the KB is working ok in the current port as I've checked it in XP on another drive, but it won't work in ANY port in Win 7 this morning. All was working fine yesterday and I didn't install anything relating to ports or the kb etc, although I did install my mob ph software. I just don't want to do a full reinstall if I can manage it and equally would prefer not to use the restore as my only restore date is 3 wks ago and I'd lose a lot in the process.

So just wondering if there's a simpler solution to the issue perhaps? Or at least if I could get some ideas of what to try would be great.

Thanks TKR

Try booting to windows 7 safe mode (F8 typically few seconds after post screen) and seeing if works there, if it does you can selectively disable applications that run on loading windows to see if they cause it using MSCONFIG from start/run, once thats been done you can enable the autoruns the same way. Also double check BIOS settings have not messed up options like USB with legacy ON

Unfortunately no joy on either of those options. USB is enabled everywhere in the BIOS ok, and safe mode won't let me use the kb either. The fact it's all working fine in XP points to some config error within Win 7 but obviously not going to be something easily fixed perhaps?

Not sure what you mean by mob ph software, but I'd try uninstalling that since you seem to tie it into when this all started.

Sorry arthritic hands and a tiny laptop keyboard have me using acronyms where possible - mobile phone software, but how can I uninstall that if I can't get into Windows?? I know I could just delete the software through XP (Explorer) but can't honestly see that working in the way you're possibly intending to solve the problem?

Why do you need keyboard support to uninstall a program? Is it because you need to type a password to even log in to Windows, and this does not work?

You could try booting to safe mode. Perhaps the keyboard will work then. Then you can try to uninstall the phone software. Reboot to normal mode and hope for the best.

Yes - it is because I can't login and no - as I mentioned earlier, safe mode is no better. I'm still really keen to find a solution that's not going to involve an earlier restore or a reinstall. I should also say that I have also tried rebooting to an earlier known good config and that didn't work either. This was happening on a rare occasion before but usually either a reboot or temporarily moving the kb to another port sorted it - not this time sadly. I've now switched from my laptop over to my XP on the machine with the problem, so you can see there's nothing wrong with the KB itself :)

Hmmm...at the screen where you have to type your password, there's an Ease Of Access button on the bottom left. I'm configured on all my machines to auto-login so I can't test this for you, unfortunately.

If you click on that Ease Of Access button, there might be an on screen keyboard that can be opened. This way, you can type your password to login to Windows. Then try to uninstall the phone software. Reboot.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-easily-disable-ease-of-access-button-in-windows-7-logon-screen/

YO - you're the MAN!!! Ok - will take this as far as I can to see how I get on. Have only been able to access it in Safe Mode - in ordinary, while I got the options up it wouldn't let me select any of them. Feels almost like there's some corruption going on there but whether I can roll it back to a more stable config now will remain to be seen. Anyway - I'll start with the software removal and see what that does for me. Thanks SO much for sticking with this as it's a tedious issue for me just now :)

Cool. Now that you're into Windows and can't use the keyboard (there is on screen keyboard in Windows too actually but here's easier way) -

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32

Double click regedt32.exe to start it.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

If there are any entries on the right side saying lowerfilters, delete them all. Reboot and test the keyboard.

You could set a restore point before doing so in case of any complications.

Last edited:
None of those but have discovered the kb is showing with corrupted drivers so working on that to see if it helps.

maybe some bigger issue going on as i cant get the system to even recognise the kb (ms nat pro) if i plug it in even after uninstalling it - or am i wrong in trying that? presume i need to clear reg entries as well? just struggling to think what else to try and the longer it goes on the more a Restore is beginning to actually appeal :(

You could install the latest version of your motherboard's chipset drivers. It probably won't help but there is a chance that it may "reset" something that's currently in the way, so-to-speak.

Visit your motherboard manufacturer's site to get the latest chipset driver install package. If you don't know which motherboard you have, cpu-z can tell you.

Other than that, you may unfortunately have to use a restore point.

Perhaps let CCleaner clean the registry.

have you maybe got a downloadable driver update for that model off the web or install cd to see if that can fix the dodgy driver with a manual install driver option, I realise few keyboards need drivers, but sometimes it helps... likewise if the driver was one try the uninstall & delete driver option, change usb port KB is in to redetect it.

THANKS guys. Ironically was just working through that fix for the kb as I'd come across it earlier, when I suddenly remembered I'd installed a backup program recently which has been running happily in the background doing just what I told it to do, and one thing I'd ensured to back up was a full system image - so I worked through what I thought would be likely contenders for holding the driver inf and restored those files and amazingly - it's worked! However, I've now run into a previous problem which is proving more persistent now than it did prior and another one I'm unsure the restore will fix as it's been happening intermittently for weeks but has just decided to fix itself tonight of course. Once I put in my password the screen then changes to the Welcome one which should only last a few secs before taking you in to the desktop - mine doesn't - it just hangs on that Welcome screen with no other option but to reboot. I used to be able to overcome it with the last good config option but not now - now it's just constantly hanging which is SO frustrating. SO I'm back in XP at the minute as I'm just tired out and frustrated dealing with the difficulties and want a break, but will have to tackle it again in an hour or two. Have a sinking feeling a Reinstall is looming :( Let you know how I get on later.

FINALLY - had to do a bit of hunting about for info etc, but am finally sorted on all counts. The other issue I had with Windows hanging on the Welcome screen appears to be something to do with startup services - once I disabled all of those (bar the important ones) it booted up properly so now just working through to find the true culprit, but at least I'm functional again WITHOUT a Restore/Reinstall which is exactly where I wanted to be. However, I am down £25 having jumped perhaps rather too fast to buy myself a new KB as I was getting convinced there was some problem with it and a new one might work better, but hey - never bad to have a spare or 2 eh?

Thanks SO much to all of you who provided input and support (esp TorrentG :redface:) - makes all the difference when you're tearing your hair out to know there's at least 1 person who's willing to stand alongside you and provide suggestions, and on this particular forum, you're pretty much guaranteed to get more than 1 person which is what I truly appreciate.

Right that's me well and truly cooked this day - off to my pit! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom