Windows 7 hibernation and extended screen

SamVimes

Hi
I'm using win7 and have my television connected to pc so to see videos on it.
I have turn on hibernation so that I can quickly shut down and start my computer and that everything is restored, problem is that when starting after the pc is hibernated, my 2nd screen (TV) is black. In display settings it still says that i extend the desktop. To solve the problem i have to make changes so that i can apply the settings and then go back to extended screen again.
Anyone know why this happens and what i can do to solve the problem once and for all?

Hi
I'm using win7 and have my television connected to pc so to see videos on it.
I have turn on hibernation so that I can quickly shut down and start my computer and that everything is restored, problem is that when starting after the pc is hibernated, my 2nd screen (TV) is black. In display settings it still says that i extend the desktop. To solve the problem i have to make changes so that i can apply the settings and then go back to extended screen again.
Anyone know why this happens and what i can do to solve the problem once and for all?

In any operating system, including 7 --even through its various use of fixes, enhancements, and improvements-- Hibernation can cause issues with certain hardware -- namely video cards.

I imagine you already know what hibernation does, in that it keeps your Windows operating system session written to your harddrive so it can turn off the power, restart, and load everything from your harddrive back into memory. Depending on how much memory is being stored, this can be a blessing or a problem: For you, it appears to be both. You are experiencing a boost in startup times, but your hardware functionality is being limited. This is where your tradeoff is.

If you want advice, forget hibernation. Simply shutdown and restart your computer so that you can flush possibly-corrupted-cached drivers out of memory, so they can start anew.

When you shut down your computer normally (not hibernating it), and turn it back on, do you still have the same problem?

hybernation and stuff

Thanks for the reply.
Yes when i start my computer from scratch i have botrh screens, and that's what i'm doing now. It takes some longer time but at least i dont have to use time to get my screen on the tv to work.
It's a shame though, that hibernation doesn't work. Do you know what I could do to maybe fix it? My stationary computer is not the newest and has only 1GB of ram. Could it help with adding more ram or is the problem simply with the hybernation in general?
best regards SamVimes

Back