Windows 7 Hiding control panel applets

Hello there,

You're going to want to use your system's local group policy to accomplish this task. If you are on shaky ground with this technology, it is best to back up your system prior to meddling with the local settings. You can only do this on Windows 7 Professional and greater. Home Premium and Home do not include this capability, as these systems are for stand-alone systems that will never connect to a server operating system.

I am including screenshots.

If in Windows 7 Professional or greater access Local Group Policy:

Enforce the Local Group Policy Setting to Hide User Accounts in Control Panel

Go to Start -> gpedit.msc

Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> "Hide specific Control Panel items"

hide-cp1.png

Double-click on that option on the right.

hide-cp2.png

Click "Enabled" and click "Show" under List of Disallowed Control Panel Options.
Enter the value: Microsoft.UserAccounts
Click OK to exit out of these dialogues.

hide-cp3.png

Force a group policy update by launching cmd.exe
Go to Start -> Search -> cmd.exe and launch the command processor.
Type: gpupdate /force

hide-cp4.png

Open Control Panel and User Accounts will be completely gone from the menu list.

To get it back, you will want to go back to gpedit.msc set the option to "Not Configured", force gpupdate again. If you re-open the control panel, you will be able to see User Accounts once again.

Notice that in the image above, User Accounts (which should be displayed under System using the icon view), is not present.

This option impedes launching User Accounts from Control Panel. It could still be launched using a command line with the right know-how. Most users, however, will not know how to bypass this functionality.

You can use Group Policy to only permit access to certain control panel items, as well as block access to Control Panel altogether.

Keep in mind that while group policy can be used to manage individual systems, its controls and functionality were primarily designed to work on the server level. These options could be used in a work environment, forced from the server, to enforce policies for a network of computers. Your options in managing the "Local Group Policy" are limited, but they would override server policies that are set for workstations if you connected to a Windows network through a domain controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be specific to Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate, and I run as Global Administrator, but, in your post, after "Click "Enabled" and click "Show" under List of Disallowed Control Panel Options.", for me it is only necessary to type in the exact title as it appears in the Control Panel, and then Apply.
Fwiw, if the op only has the home edition fo Windows 7, it can be done through the registry, Gpedit being a gui to that feature.
The "user Accounts" is difficult, as it needs some editing:

If any readers try this, the usual warning, Back up the registry first!

Open the Start button, and Run.
In the box, type regedit
Go to
_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

Right click to create a String Value "nusrmgr.cpl" (right-clicking in the open area).
Right click to modify the value of created string nusrmgr.cpl. and set the Value Data as No in the textbox provided and click on 'OK' .

For hiding the other Control Panel features, it is simpler. :

Again, in the registry, navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\don’t load

If not obvious, you will need to know the name of the icon. You can search for *.cpl , which are all found in Windows\winsxs\wow64 or amd64. The description usually is enough to see which .cpl file will turn off the icon. Then just enter a new string with a value of the icon name. This must be exact such as Firewall.cpl

VIOLA...the value Microsoft.UserAccounts this works for me...........as there is no nusrngr,cpl as most of the supportive info out there states ....
Thanks Mike

AS I said in my post (maybe the same for the other info you have read?) - You have to create it yourself. Anyway, you have achieved your aim - congrats.

Back
Top Bottom