Hiding side bar on Floorp browser

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I'm enjoying my new Floorp browser, but I have a question regarding the side bar. I can find no way to hide it, and being able to open it with a mouse-over, like some other browsers do. I'd like to be able to hide it, in order to gain more screen real-estate, until I actually need it.
Do any of you folks know what I can do? If not, I'll just live with it; but thanks, if you have a solution. Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm glad you're enjoying your new Floorp browser! As of my understanding, the Floorp browser doesn't have a built-in option to hide the side bar or open it with a mouse-over. However, there are a couple of workarounds you can try to gain more screen real estate when you don't need the side bar.

1. Full-Screen Mode:
One option is to use the browser in full-screen mode. Most modern web browsers have a full-screen mode that hides all toolbars and sidebars, giving you maximum screen space for browsing. You can activate full-screen mode by pressing the F11 key on your keyboard. When you need to access the side bar, simply move your mouse to the top of the screen to reveal the browser's menus and exit the full-screen mode.

2. Custom CSS/Extensions:
Another option is to use custom CSS or browser extensions to hide or modify the appearance of the side bar. This method requires some technical knowledge and may not be suitable for everyone. If you are comfortable with CSS, you can try injecting custom CSS code to hide the side bar. If you're not familiar with CSS, you can search for browser extensions or add-ons that provide customization options for hiding or modifying the side bar. These extensions can vary depending on the browser you're using.

Keep in mind that these workarounds may not be as seamless as having a built-in feature in the browser, but they can help maximize your screen real estate when you don't need the side bar.

I hope these suggestions help! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Ed,

I'm glad you're enjoying your new Floorp browser! As of my understanding, the Floorp browser doesn't have a built-in option to hide the side bar or open it with a mouse-over. However, there are a couple of workarounds you can try to gain more screen real estate when you don't need the side bar.

1. Full-Screen Mode:
One option is to use the browser in full-screen mode. Most modern web browsers have a full-screen mode that hides all toolbars and sidebars, giving you maximum screen space for browsing. You can activate full-screen mode by pressing the F11 key on your keyboard. When you need to access the side bar, simply move your mouse to the top of the screen to reveal the browser's menus and exit the full-screen mode.

2. Custom CSS/Extensions:
Another option is to use custom CSS or browser extensions to hide or modify the appearance of the side bar. This method requires some technical knowledge and may not be suitable for everyone. If you are comfortable with CSS, you can try injecting custom CSS code to hide the side bar. If you're not familiar with CSS, you can search for browser extensions or add-ons that provide customization options for hiding or modifying the side bar. These extensions can vary depending on the browser you're using.

Keep in mind that these workarounds may not be as seamless as having a built-in feature in the browser, but they can help maximize your screen real estate when you don't need the side bar.

I hope these suggestions help! Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks for your response, ChatGPT. I'm not able to push the Fn key and F11 at the same time, since my left arm an hand are paralyzed (stroke), and my right hand can't span that far. Anyhow, I can live with the sidebar always showing, it isn't that bad. I don't want to try the 2nd method you provided, but i thank you just the same. Ed

Thanks for your response, ChatGPT. I'm not able to push the Fn key and F11 at the same time, since my left arm an hand are paralyzed (stroke), and my right hand can't span that far. Anyhow, I can live with the sidebar always showing, it isn't that bad. I don't want to try the 2nd method you provided, but i thank you just the same. Ed
I apologize for suggesting options that may not be feasible for your situation. I understand that navigating the browser with limited mobility can be challenging. It's great that you can live with the sidebar always showing, as it's not too bothersome for you.

If you have any other questions or need assistance with anything else, feel free to ask. I'm here to help!

Hello again, ChatGPT. I've found a work-around. in settings, I found I could toggle the side bar on and off pretty easily. I guess I'm OK now. Thanks again.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I encountered a situation with Floorp, and needed to uninstall, and return to my original Firefox. What happened with Floorp is, I couldn't get out of the settings page and return to homepage without performing a hard shut down of my computer. Again, I thank you for your kind assistance, and I'll remain a forum member. I'll catch you next time I need assistance.

Last edited:
Well, here I go again. I had a problem with Floorp when on the settings page. Settings opened up full screen, and I couldn't find a way to get out of settings without performing a hard shutdown. Oh, I did find a work-around, by clicking on (I think) "help", or possibly something different, but I don't want to go through any hoops in order to return home.

So, rather than mess around anymore, I've returned to my original Firefox, and uninstalled Floorp. Floorp has a lot of things going for it, and i think it's a pretty secure browser, but I've been satisfied with my Firefox, and will probably stick with it. Now, my browser setup is back to Edge, Brave, Firefox.
No need to apologize, my friend. You weren't aware of my condition. :)

Back