Windows Vista home server vs hdd

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I thinking about adding an external device for backups and storage via home network. What is the difference between a home server (hp) and and external hard drive of the same capacity (500 gb)? Do the external hard drives have an ethernet port on them to connect to network? Cost is a factor but willing to go the distance for what is right. I want to be able to access the external device weather it be a home server or hdd through network connection. I don't want to have to go through, let's say computer A, to access device. I want all computers on network to have access independently to the device. Thanks.

Hi! You may wish to look at this:What is an External Hard Drive? HP Home Server? Good choice, does alot more, not portable. At least not like an external hard drive can be. I have an external hard drive that I keep in my laptop bag. (A good one, anywhere between $75-$100) It can hold as much information as my notebook.

Hi! You may wish to look at this:What is an External Hard Drive? HP Home Server? Good choice, does alot more, not portable. At least not like an external hard drive can be. I have an external hard drive that I keep in my laptop bag. (A good one, anywhere between $75-$100) It can hold as much information as my notebook.

Thanks for the input there Celestra; is your sister Eleckra...LOL. Nice article, good info but already have an extra internal hard drive on main computer for backups. I think I going to go with the HP Home Server and not slow down/bog down main computer with backups. Thanks again.

Yes...the way to go with back-ups, particularly if you are thinking ahead, is via a,Home Server. I am running the HP MediaSmart EX470 to take care of all my extensive photo & documents and find it very efficient. The back up each day only takes minutes as the server only needs to back up fresh data added since your last back up. I have my desktop, laptop & wireless router all "hooked up" to the server and so far no problems.
Well worth a look at !!

Yeah, I'm hooked on HP for the time being. Most compatible with Microsoft. The HP Home Server is essentially a copy of Microsoft's Home Server, only "IMPROVED". Even Bill Blot said he likes it better!

Back
Top Bottom