Windows 10 Horizontal lines on screen

cauliflower

In the past few days my screen looks like the attached pic. The lines are there constantly, though they do move around a bit, and occasionally there are sections (eg some text input boxes) where they disappear, but basically it's always like the picture. I have tried DDU and changing graphics drivers. Bizarrely it started working again for a few days and then reverted to this. Any ideas? Help!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160925_123046521.jpg
    IMG_20160925_123046521.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 311
Hi Cauliflower,
first can you post a little more information regarding your system? Also include the make and model of your PSU.

Things to try:

If your using anything to overclock the card please stop.

Try reseating the card in it's PCIE slot and making sure any power cables are connected correctly.

Check the temperature of the gpu using this app HWiNFO64 High temps can produce similar issues so do check.

Run a stress test using Furmark and again check temps. Run the test for about an hour or if temps get high stop.

If your using a laptop, has it been dropped or similar?

Finally is it possible to run the gpu in a friends machine? If it still does the same thing then you know it's the card.

It could also be a faulty monitor. Have you tried connected a different working monitor to your computer or borrow one from a friend to try it? This will often fix this problem. :up:

If the problem persists after trying another known working monitor, it could also be a faulty GPU card or GPU chip on the Motherboard and that takes more troubleshooting such as kemical suggests. Many motherboards have an embedded GPU chip built in on the Motherboard, so to test your GPU card, simply power off and remove the card from the inside of your computer case. Power back up, access the Motheboard BIOS and set your Graphics Card to DISABLED, save settings and reboot. There are different BIOSes that do this differently; you'll need to consult your computer Owner's Manual online for your particular computer or Motherboard. Some BIOSes will have you ENABLE your onboard GPU chip they call it Onboard Video or similar. The BIOS then will switch your computers display to run from the embedded video chip on your Motherboard. This is important even after you physically remove the GPU card if you have one, as not all BIOSes will do an "auto-switch" and auto-detect you've removed your GPU card and switch back over to the built-in graphics chip. If your video problem abates, you simply have a faulty monitor and it must be replaced.:waah: New flat screen 19" LCD monitors run about $100 online with free shipping. I had a customer with a nearly identical problem last year. He bought the new LCD monitor, and he's been good ever since! ;)

Good luck,:star:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for all of the advice. Fortunately a colleague had just upgraded his graphics card and gave me his old gtx690 which I installed and hey presto - working perfectly. So problem solved, plus I get an upgrade to my gfx card into the bargain.

Nice work there cauliflower! :applaud: Thanks for letting us know you got it fixed and for sharing your final solution with our other users!:up:

BBJ

Back