Windows 7 How activate webcam Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook A530?

Commander_Cool

I recently aquired this notebook 2:nd hand - no manual, natch - and wonder how to activate the built-in webcam.

I have googled the phrase in the subject expecting a straightforward answer to a straightforward question but
get zilch, nada or else pages that promise to give the answer if I just first submit my credit card info.

So, I thought I'd put this baffling, puzzling question to you good folks.

Hi Cool: Couple of suggestions for you. #1: Go to Start-->My Computer, off the Start Menu, and Right-Click on My Computer. Depending on what version of windows you're running, you'll see Device Manager on the Navigation Choices on the left side of your screen. (that's in Vista; it will be different for different versions of windows as I mentioned). When you open your Device Manager, look for a Category Heading called "IMAGING DEVICES"; click or double-click on that section and find your webcam listed. On my system, it's: "Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks".

#2: Click on the name and brand of your Cam listed in that section (IMAGING DEVICES); right-click on properties. If it says: "This device is working properly", then you are good to go! You can install Video apps suck as Skype or various IM chat programs to make Video calls with your internal webcam. :up:

***If you don't see a Webcam listed in the IMAGING DEVICES section, or you don't see the IMAGING DEVICES category in Device Manager at all, you probably don't have the right driver installed, or possibly no driver installed. Since it's a 2nd hand notebook, many people are UNINSTALLING their webcam software from their laptop if they don't use it, with the outbreak of the new FBI RANSOMWARE virus out in 2012. The hardware is still there inside the laptop, they just removed the software. You can go to the Fujitsu support website to download the correct drivers for your laptop webcam at: http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/support.do?srch=DOWNLOADS.
If there is no webcam driver listed, or the IMAGING DEVICES category is not shown, go the Fujitsu website and download the correct webcam driver for your model Lifebook; they have a model selector that you can click through to get to the right model's software download page.

If there is a webcam drive listed, and it tells you "This device is NOT working properly", then you should uninstall that driver from Device Manager and reinstall using the new webcam driver you downloaded from above Fujitsu website.

In either case, this should resolve your problem with your webcam. Pay close attention to selecting the proper drivers to download for the appropriate version of windows (xp, Vista, Win7, etc.); and especially if your laptop is using a 32bit or a 64bit processor. If you don't know which you are using, use the SYSTEM INFORMATION command to determine this.

If none of that works, it could be the webcam optics or the internal cable is damaged or become disconnected from the Motherboard (Main computer board inside your laptop). :nerves: If this is the case, and you're familiar with how to take apart a laptop and get it working again, you might have to replace the webcam camera, or cable assembly itself. If you are not familiar with this process, I suggest you take to an A+ Certified local computer professional to do that repair and get an estimate. :cash:

I hope that proves helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Good Luck!

BIGBEARJEDI

Hi BIGBEARDJEDI,

I deleted the quoted text, no disrespect meant ;) Yes, it sounds like you know your s...stuff, a good start. This is how the cam shows up in Device Manager:

Camera.jpg

So it's working properly, great. But where do I go from here? Why does this have to be worse than pulling teeth?

Hi Cool:

That's Great! I was going to tell you now that your webcam works, try installing some video calling apps such as Skype or Yahoo! Instant Messenger and make some video calls. The tricky part is getting the right driver for your built-in webcam to be recognized by Windows, and you did that. :up:

Some of the older laptops I get, are physically damaged, and either the webcam lens is broken or missing, or the internal cable is bad or missing. Some of my Clients buy old laptops in yard sales and ask me to resurrect them!

I'm not familiar with your webcam company, but, it's always a good idea to go to the manufacturer's website for support.
And thanks for sharing that link with everyone.

Enjoy your webcam! <:o)

BIGBEARJEDI

Thanks for the reply biggie. Yes, the webcam works OK which was what I wanted to establish in the first place as I am selling the notebook and want no 'loose ends'.
The graphics driver I found bundled with chipset-, audio- etc drivers in Fujitsu Siemens d/l area and just ran them all after 'cleaning' the machine for sale and having installed Windows 7.
Then it's up to the buyer to get Skype or whatever. Me I'd hate to call that way. What, I should shave, shower and otherwise beautify (which takes longer with each year) myself to be presentable for a phone-call?
Not this old fuddy-duddy.
I appreciate your kind thoughts. :)
6ivv.gif

Hi Cool: Couple of suggestions for you. #1: Go to Start-->My Computer, off the Start Menu, and Right-Click on My Computer. Depending on what version of windows you're running, you'll see Device Manager on the Navigation Choices on the left side of your screen. (that's in Vista; it will be different for different versions of windows as I mentioned). When you open your Device Manager, look for a Category Heading called "IMAGING DEVICES"; click or double-click on that section and find your webcam listed. On my system, it's: "Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks".

#2: Click on the name and brand of your Cam listed in that section (IMAGING DEVICES); right-click on properties. If it says: "This device is working properly", then you are good to go! You can install Video apps suck as Skype or various IM chat programs to make Video calls with your internal webcam. :up:

***If you don't see a Webcam listed in the IMAGING DEVICES section, or you don't see the IMAGING DEVICES category in Device Manager at all, you probably don't have the right driver installed, or possibly no driver installed. Since it's a 2nd hand notebook, many people are UNINSTALLING their webcam software from their laptop if they don't use it, with the outbreak of the new FBI RANSOMWARE virus out in 2012. The hardware is still there inside the laptop, they just removed the software. You can go to the Fujitsu support website to download the correct drivers for your laptop webcam at: http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/support.do?srch=DOWNLOADS.
If there is no webcam driver listed, or the IMAGING DEVICES category is not shown, go the Fujitsu website and download the correct webcam driver for your model Lifebook; they have a model selector that you can click through to get to the right model's software download page.

If there is a webcam drive listed, and it tells you "This device is NOT working properly", then you should uninstall that driver from Device Manager and reinstall using the new webcam driver you downloaded from above Fujitsu website.

In either case, this should resolve your problem with your webcam. Pay close attention to selecting the proper drivers to download for the appropriate version of windows (xp, Vista, Win7, etc.); and especially if your laptop is using a 32bit or a 64bit processor. If you don't know which you are using, use the SYSTEM INFORMATION command to determine this.

If none of that works, it could be the webcam optics or the internal cable is damaged or become disconnected from the Motherboard (Main computer board inside your laptop). :nerves: If this is the case, and you're familiar with how to take apart a laptop and get it working again, you might have to replace the webcam camera, or cable assembly itself. If you are not familiar with this process, I suggest you take to an A+ Certified local computer professional to do that repair and get an estimate. :cash:

I hope that proves helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Good Luck!

BIGBEARJEDI
Dear BIGBEARJEDI
Thanks for your comprehensive information and merry Christmas
I went to the Fujitsu support website and faced the uploaded image. There is not any driver for my webcam(Fujitsu AH530)
How can I find the model of my webcam and download its driver. In device manager, there is not any imag... folder; so it is not installed and I should find its driver.

Best regards,

Attachments

• fujitsu drivers.jpg
    fujitsu drivers.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 2,185
Dear Kokopelli,
Thanks for your answer. I followed both of the links; the second one occurred the previous error, but the first one guided me to a selection page which has been attached. I can not find the webcam driver there.
Any idea?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,212
Dear Kokopelli,
Thanks for troubles you took; the link resulted in Fujitsu website with this message
Download denied due to Legal Requirements
Anyway thank you very much for your help. Now, I just see a lens, but the lens doesn't see me!

Best regards

Dear Kokopelli,
I visited the website by my Lifebook and now I am answering you by this! I clicked on your link and went to 4shared website and then clicked on the link but may be something is wrong with it. It doesn't download anything. I tried it by two browsers several times; but it doesn't work.

Thanks again,
Best regards

Dear Kokopelli,
Good news say that I went to a hardware technician and he detected a cable disconnection in the internal hardware.
Without installing any driver, I can use my webcam now,

Thanks for all of what you did
Best regards,

Back