Windows 7 how can I find out whic 64 bith bit rate dse windows 7 has to be to work on my laptop

akurtula

Hi

I installed windows 7 on my computer, and now I am trying to install it on my laptop and it would not work, the only problem that I can think of could be that it can not handle the 64 bit version - could that be the case? if so, is there something within the laptop that could indicate which bit rate is more applicable?

this laptop came with windows 7, but after some problems I formatted the drives and want to re-install windows 7

can you advice me how I can solve this problem?

Thanks

akurtula
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Probably checking the laptop manufacturer's website with your specific Model Name, Model Number and any additional numbers, letters that are present (usually on the bottom) on your laptop that will help you identify it specifically might provide the information you are looking for. There may be a sticker on the inside surface or bottom also that may indicate which version of Windows 7 it came with.
The installed processor is what will determine if it will support a 64bit installation or not and I would have thought that when you attempted the 64bit install you would have received a message, something to the effect that it wasn't supported on this hardware or words similar to that.
Regards
Randy

Hi thanks to both, I did not think of checking the sticker, now that I did, I found that it was running a 32 bit. at the moment I dont have that disc and the laptop came pre-installed, so nothing came with it. But Ill try and buy it soon - thanks

Just of of interest, what is the difference from a 32 bit an 64bit (and so forth)

Thanks to both

Just a guess and fwiw. If you bought the laptop during the Windows 7 era, the chances are it is 64Bit. Run Mike's link and see if it can handle it, and also, as Trouble suggests, google for the laptop and see what the specs are. If you are not to sure how to handle this, just post us with the details of the make and model, and wr will put you right.

Since you have established that the laptop is 32-bit, let's address your other query...

1. 64-bit is the future; 32-bit will go the way of the dodo bird
2. Arguably 64 is faster & more stable
3. 64 will see/use all available RAM; 32 will only see/use 3.25 regardless of how much is actually in the machine.
4. 64 multitasks well

Cheers,
Drew

"Since you have established that the laptop is 32-bit"
He has? I missed that bit. Where was that? The OP speaks of a "sticker" running 32Bit. I presumed that was the OS, not the Laptop hardware. I don't think product key stickers state the Bit numbers, but he could, of course, be referring to another.

Oh, Dave, you're right... I misread that he found out it is running 32-bit but, only, "@ the moment".

so, we are back to suggesting going to that laptop's manufacturer's website & look to see IF that model does support 64-bit or not; no need to Bing anything just go directly to the manufacturer's site, of course ( I see he hasn't mentioned the brand, either). OR Randy's suggestion to run the Win7 Upgrade Advisor

after checking the manufactures information (as you suggested) I found that it was running of windows 7 32 bits - and now everything is working without any problems - love it

if anyone could explain in basic terms what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, is it to do with limitations or anything like that? - Though again thanks a lot

It can be a long explanation. Rather than print it out here, I browsed for the most straightforward expanation and found this:

HTG Explains: What’s the Difference Between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7? - How-To Geek

But, not mentioned. hardware and software manufacturers are rapidly moving to 64Bit. If you are a user who likes to keep up to fdate with either, then you would be obliged to move on to 64Bit as soon as you find it convenient. Any new, 64Bit, material, will not run on your present computer.

On the heels of and in the same light as what Dave has last said...

A retail box of Windows 7 offers 2 discs, 32 & 64, either can be used, free choice. As System Builders, using OEM discs we get one or the other, not both. I always go with & recommend x64 when building new machines or rebuilding machines for clients. I am always nudging, advising & pointing towards x64. Certainly, this is based on technical superiority, including lending itself better to future expansion (RAM & more) & more demanding tasking but, largely, as I stated earlier, because it IS the future. For all intents & purposes, x86 is tail-lights & dust, on its last legs. In other words, w/ the pace & direction of IT evolvement, going w/ 32-bit, @ this point in (computing) time, is not prudent, makes no sense. To be future-ready, cutting edge, in step w/ the platforms that are coming & going... x64 is the wise choice.

Regards,
Drew

thanks for the link, that was really informative;

I just remembered that I also have a desktop that used to run on windows xp home edition. A year a go I installed windows 7 64-bit, I have book keep it on hibernate mode as if I shut it down it then shows up the system restore windows and take ages to start up.

After reading all what you have mentioned it could be that I am running an incorrect version. I tried to look for a bar code on the metal peases but I can't find anything, I have the original xp cd and it has a bunch of numbers (including the product key) - could any of those numbers let me know which version of windows 7 would be best for my desktop computer

the computer is over 5 years old

thanks

Once again. Use Mikes link (second post) and see if the model can run 64Bit. But, possibly easier as you will get a more informaive answer here, just post the model and, if possible, which particular CPU it has. The prohibitive factor here, maybe the amount of Ram that can be installed. Some older laptops have severe limitations with that. HD capacity could also be a side issue

When building a new PC these days, it's pretty pointless to buy a motherboard and 32 bit processor.
Even if all you could afford today, or wish to run today, is a 32 bit OS, having the capability to run
a 64 bit OS in the future is a good move.

The data buss in a computer is like a highway..... the more lanes you have, the more traffic you can move
simultaneously.

I'm really glad that when I built this computer several years back, I opted for the fastest 64 bit CPU
on the market at that time.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom