Windows 7 how can I put the icons in extracted themepack, so after I add them they install

Lukasz

how can I put the icons in extracted themepack, so after I add them they install

Code:
; Computer - SHIDI_SERVER
[CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-

08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
DefaultValue=C:\Users\LukaszTarkowski\Downloads\StargateSG1AndAtlantis1\Andromada.ico,-109

I would like to insert without my username, and without C:\

Hi Lukasz, Not 100% sure of what you want to do.

Do you want these icons to be your permanent icons? If that's the case then editing the system files is the best (and only) way to go about it.

Info on what you want, and a link to the download you've used would be great.

I want these icons to be permanent, during the install of the themepack. I have extracted the themepack by renaming to zip and extracting it using winrar, since the default directory is imagers.dll, what should I put in the valuedata

Personally I'd swap the icons in the imageres.dll file manually ( with my own copy). If running a 64 bit system there will be 2, 1 in system32, 1 in SysWoW64. Luckily this is the rare exception where they are identical so you only need one modified file to use in both folders.

I'd swap the icons out using (a) Reshack, or (b) Restorator 2007 trial. I personally wouldn't rely on a "theme" to do this for me when it is so easy to do yourself.

Let's say you create a folder with imageres.dll that you modify in it at, Oh I dunno, E:\MODIFYING\7 DLL+ W.I.P.s (strangely, my location of a modified imageres.dll file!!)

This saved as a .bat file then swaps them out automagically (plus backs them up and deletes older backups)

Code:
DEL C:\WINDOWS\System32\IMAGERES0ldie.dll
DEL C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\IMAGERES0ldie.dll

TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\System32\IMAGERES.DLL
TAKEOWN /F C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IMAGERES.DLL

ICACLS C:\Windows\System32\IMAGERES.DLL /grant administrators:F /t
ICACLS C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IMAGERES.DLL /grant administrators:F /t

REN C:\Windows\System32\IMAGERES0ld.DLL IMAGERES0ldie.DLL
REN C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IMAGERES0ld.DLL IMAGERES0ldie.DLL
REN C:\Windows\System32\IMAGERES.DLL IMAGERES0ld.DLL
REN C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IMAGERES.DLL IMAGERES0ld.DLL

COPY "E:\MODIFYING\7 DLL+ W.I.P.s\IMAGERES.DLL" "C:\Windows\System32\IMAGERES.DLL"
COPY "E:\MODIFYING\7 DLL+ W.I.P.s\IMAGERES.DLL" "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IMAGERES.DLL"

How can I edit the Icons like My Computer, and Username Icon, and some other icons using restorator 2009

The main files to look in to change things like MyCompuer, MyDocuments etc. etc. are imageres.dll and shell32.dll

Files I change icons in are:

AUTHUI.DLL
DDORES.DLL
EXPLORER.EXE
IEFRAME.DLL
IMAGERES.DLL
IMAGESP1.DLL
MSTSC.EXE
OCCACHE.DLL
PNIDUI.DLL
REGEDIT.EXE
SHELL32.DLL
TASKMGR.EXE
WBEMCNTL.DLL
ZIPFLDR.DLL

The easiest program I've found for viewing the icons contained in a system file is MicroAngelo "Librarian". Lets you view all the contained icons at once. Problem in it's paid for, but you can get a trial.

Apart from that, with restorator, if you click on the "Icon" Folder in the left window you can select to extract all the icons to a folder where you can view and decide which icons to change at your leisure.

When you say users, can you post a picture or link to of which one it is??

I've changed that many myself I can't 100% remember but in the imageres.dll file look at icon number 105 for My Computer icon when using Restorator.

EDIT! A very quick way to view what, if any, icons are contained in a system file is to download and install a free program called Link Removed - Invalid URL. This adds a tab under the files Properties window when you select Properties from its Context Menu.

Last edited:
Back