Windows 8 How can we manage transferring files between Hyper-v machines?

I get asked this most by people using vmware because they have gotten trained to copy | paste for their file transfers and hyper-v doesn't allow that. You can set up network paths and mapped drives but that can be fiddly or open security issues so ime the best solution is to make a vhdx (virtual hard drive extended) and place the data there.

The advantage of this is that drive can be moved around between the various hyper-v machines or even connected to the host machine which sees it as a real drive with all the advantages and disadvantages that creates.

1. Open the hyper-v manager and create a new vhdx (or vhd if you need older system support).

2. Open the task manager (windows key + X) and connect the vhd to the host as a new disc or attach it to a virtual machine if that’s what you need.

p.s. I've included a simple video showing these steps but this forum doesn't appear to allow this so it is converted to youtube… so low tech…. yuck!

Is this strictly for Linux Distros?
Personally, I find it easier, simpler and more robust, to run all my Windows VM (Win7Pro, VistaBiz, XPpro32, XPpro64, Server2k3, Server2k8 and Server2k12) using mstsc.exe.
In that environment, the clipboard works fine so it's a simple process to copy and paste file(s) from one running VM into another.
I very seldom, if ever, use the "Connect" utility within Hyper-V Manager.

No it's not just for Linux… Hyper-v is very much a Microsoft product and it can run the range of windows systems.

I use vmware for my gaming system and yes, the ability to copy |paste something onto host desktop is nice but it only works because there is no real distance involved but the point of the connect function in Hyper-v is I can be at work when I need something from my server at home… no problem or what if I have a client in the next town (or state) that needs work done on their server? As long as they have it set up with an dns connected to an outside port somewhere (and in all likelihood I set it up that way) then I can open my laptop and remote into the server without having to drop everything, jump in my car and waist everyone's time on travel.

The ability to connect a virtual drive directly to your windows laptop and then use it as a real one has several advantages over a simple copy | paste scenario… eg. What if you have an office with 20 computers that all need the same programs? Well just make one the way you want it set up (copy it over to a virtual hdd) and boot the machines from the virtual drives instead of the real ones. That makes backups simple since the c drive can be placed in a folder (copied) someplace and quickly swapped over in the event of physical harddrive failure or misadventure by Muppet operators.

To be clear, if you like using mstsc or virtual box then more power to you but Hyper-v is;
1. Free.
2. A fully functional server interface that is (by design) completely compatible with Windows.

How can we manage transferring files between Hyper-v machines?
1. I do not use virtual box, or VMware Player or any other 3rd party products or components.
2. I thought the topic was plainly stated as transferring files between Hyper-V machines, now it seems to have ventured off into a more convoluted application of the various ways of using a virtual hard drive.
3. I know it's free, that's all I use.
4. You should really try attaching to your virtual machines using mstsc.exe (once you've started them in Hyper-V Manger) it provides a much more robust interface than the one found using only the "Connect" utility within Hyper-V manager. Including copy and paste files and folders between Hyper-V virtual machines.

I see and yes for a single interface that has c&p built in that's a nice option. I tend to work on several systems and like the manager but concede that is a personal choice.

At any given time, on my Windows 8 Pro desktop, I will have a server running along with two clients all within Hyper-V manager and I will be attached to all three using Remote Desktop simultaneously across multiple screens.

Back