Windows 10 How check every x minutes if there is specific bat file in the folder, and execute if present

yugo23

I want to do the following - first deploy new version of software to multiple PCs, and then restart all PCs for changes to take effect.

First part is not a problem, for second part is it possible to check if there is restart.bat in Dropbox folder every x minutes, and if there is, execute it. Hoping everything works fine, I would just remove restart.bat from Dropbox after 10 minutes.

How can I achieve this bat check?

CMD/batch are going to be deprecated in the future you're better off using powershell.

If you're using a script to install the software you could do

Code:
install sofware....

:LOOP

IF EXIST PATHTODROPBOXDIRECTORY\reboot.bat (
shutdown /r /t 10 /c "Computer restarting to complete software install"
GOTO EXITLOOP
) ELSE (
TIMEOUT /T 300
GOTO :LOOP
)

:EXITLOOP
exit 0

Powershell

Code:
$rebootScript = "PATHTODROPBOXDIRECTORY\reboot.bat"

WHILE($true)
{
    IF(Test-Path -Path $rebootScript)
    {
        Start-Process -Path $rebootScript
        break
    } ELSE
    {
        Start-Sleep -Seconds 300
    }
}

CMD/batch are going to be deprecated in the future you're better off using powershell.

If you're using a script to install the software you could do

Code:
install sofware....

:LOOP

IF EXIST PATHTODROPBOXDIRECTORY\reboot.bat (
shutdown /r /t 10 /c "Computer restarting to complete software install"
GOTO EXITLOOP
) ELSE (
TIMEOUT /T 300
GOTO :LOOP
)

:EXITLOOP
exit 0

This restarts PC if reboot.bat is already in dropbox folder. If I add reboot.bat during countdown nothing happens, window just closes after 300 seconds, it doesn't loop?

This script would look for that file and if found kick off a restart. If you would rather have it launch the reboot.bat then replace the shutdown line with START PATHTO\reboot.bat

You'd probably be better of just forcing a reboot after the install, if you have systems in use include the /c flag to notify users of system reboot

I missed :loop when copying, works great now. The only problem is different path to Dropbox folder depending on usernames. Or I could install dropbox to C:\dropbox for example.

IF EXIST C:\Users\%username%\REST\OF\DROPBOX\PATH

%username% will expand to the logged in username

Back