Windows 7 How do i change Windows 7 32bit to 64bit without reinstalling

Sorry.... probably not what you want to hear but there is no way to go from one to the other "bit" architecture without performing a custom clean install. No upgrade path, no downgrade path.
Anyhow, welcome to the forum and we hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Sorry.... probably not what you want to hear but there is no way to go from one to the other "bit" architecture without performing a custom clean install. No upgrade path, no downgrade path.Anyhow, welcome to the forum and we hope to continue to see you around.RegardsRandy
bad, so how can i use software for 32 on 64? And which one is better 32 or 64?

The x64 is technically x86-64 because x64 is an extension to x86 instructions. Since x64 is an extension, x86 instructions are still present allowing for 32-bit operating systems to run on 64-bit machines. However for 64-bit operating systems to run x86-64 instructions must be available.

• 32-bit hardware allow for only 32-bit operating systems.
  • 32-bit operating systems allow for only 32-bit applications.
  • 64-bit hardware allow for 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems.
  • 64-bit operating systems allow for 32-bit or 64-bit applications.
There are so many differences between the two bit versions that it is required to clean install the operating system when changing bit versions. Installing the 64-bit version of Windows will not confine you to only using 64-bit applications. However if you want to use 64-bit applications you must first install the 64-bit operating system.

One other thing, the activation keys are not bit specific so you can use the same key to activate both Windows bit versions.

I recently jumped from 32 to 64. I haven't had any problems with 32-software. And guess what, you need to take the step, sooner or later. --- I always prefer the "sooner".

I just bought a refurbished Dell,I ordered the 64 bit version but they shipped the 32 bit by mistake. I could have returned it at their cost but chose to keep it instead,seeing how it blows away my old x64 because it only had 2 GB of RAM,this has 4GB but a smaller HDD.I have a 350GB HDD on order and need to know if this method will work once I receive it.32 bit is okay but I do some heavy workloads sometimes and play mid level games and a few high end ones,which lag like crazy on my old Laptop! :(
I have an ISO for Windows 7 x64.If I format this HDD;the new one is blank,if I use this to install I should then have a 64 bit machine,correct?
I realise I may need to install the drivers once it's complete..I don't need all updates only all of SP1 so I may upgrade to windows 10.
If this method will not work,it looks like I'll have to return this PC any way. :/

but chose to keep it instead
Bad idea but it's your money.

I have an ISO for Windows 7 x64.If I format this HDD;the new one is blank,if I use this to install I should then have a 64 bit machine,correct?

Yes as long as the key works then re-formatting and installing 7 (64bit) will give you a 64 bit system... if however the key is 32 bit only or the 64bit key is locked then you're screwed.

Do you mean the activation key?If so it should work on any machine.I've had to use this ISO many times on my old Laptop seeing how it's a "lemon" and something always went wrong with it weeks,months or even a whole year once before it screwed me over again! :p lol ;) Thank you for your input,I'll give it a try later Today.Right now I have too much stuff to do before attempting it.
I also have a Windows 10 ISO for any machine forever,as long as I pop the USB before activation it should work I may have to enter the key later to assure M.S. my copy is genuine. ;) P.S. lol the "outback"is awful large! Kind of like the boonies here where I live in WV.USA closest semi large City is 60 some odd mile away! SO I have plenty of time to figure this out Hun,Thanks again!!!

The x64 is technically x86-64 because x64 is an extension to x86 instructions. Since x64 is an extension, x86 instructions are still present allowing for 32-bit operating systems to run on 64-bit machines. However for 64-bit operating systems to run x86-64 instructions must be available.

• 32-bit hardware allow for only 32-bit operating systems.
  • 32-bit operating systems allow for only 32-bit applications.
  • 64-bit hardware allow for 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems.
  • 64-bit operating systems allow for 32-bit or 64-bit applications.
There are so many differences between the two bit versions that it is required to clean install the operating system when changing bit versions. Installing the 64-bit version of Windows will not confine you to only using 64-bit applications. However if you want to use 64-bit applications you must first install the 64-bit operating system.

One other thing, the activation keys are not bit specific so you can use the same key to activate both Windows bit versions.
One little correction to what Clifford posted here. 32-bit can run 32-bit AND 16-bit applications whereas 64-bit can run 64-bit and 32-bit appl8ications. This distinction only becomes important if you have older 16-bit software that you need to run on a new machine.

I just bought a refurbished Dell,I ordered the 64 bit version but they shipped the 32 bit by mistake. I could have returned it at their cost but chose to keep it instead,seeing how it blows away my old x64 because it only had 2 GB of RAM,this has 4GB but a smaller HDD.I have a 350GB HDD on order and need to know if this method will work once I receive it.32 bit is okay but I do some heavy workloads sometimes and play mid level games and a few high end ones,which lag like crazy on my old Laptop! :(
I realise I may need to install the drivers once it's complete..I don't need all updates only all of SP1 so I may upgrade to windows 10.
If this method will not work,it looks like I'll have to return this PC any way. :/
Since you have Win 7 32-bit on your machine you might have noticed that the OS cannot access all of the 4GB of RAM you have in your system, it can only use around 3.5GB or so, the rest is wasted. On top of that, you will not be able to add additional RAM should you wish to in the future. The number one reason for using 64-bit is so that you can use more than 3.5GB of RAM in your machine.

if you have total ram of 4 gb or more get windows 64 bit

the ram also for graphic card + sound card + other things

Back