Windows 7 How do I show more power options?

WarFreak131

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop, and I generally switch between High Performance (when the power cable is in) and Power Saver (when the power cable is not in). When I switch between power modes, I click the battery icon, and that brings up a list of the available power schemes. However, it only shows Balanced and either Power Saver or High Performance. So it will only show Balanced + High Performance, or Balanced + Power Saver. I have to click "more power options" to select the ones I want. Is there a way to make High Performance and Power Saver both show up, or otherwise increase the number of power schemes displayed?

Question 2: Is there a way to disable the auto max of windows when you drag them to the top of the screen?

Question 3: What happened to the "Send Feedback" button?

Question 4: Is there an easy way to alter what programs start up when Windows loads? In Vista, you went to Control Panel, then clicked on "Change what programs load when Windows starts." Now that option is gone. How do I get to this screen?

!. I think I am on the wrong tracks here, but perhaps, in the window (Power Options) you are looking for a) Select your power plan (Balanced or Power save) - "Change Power settings" (over on the wright in light blue type), then "Change Advanced Power settings". You can then create your own power plan.

2. Do this to disable and turn off Aero Snap ability to auto arrange or auto maximize window when dragging.
  1. Go to Control Panel.
  2. Click on Ease of Access link or Ease of Access Center icon.
  3. Select Change how your mouse works or Make the mouse easier to use option.
  4. Tick the check box for Prevent Windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen with the mouse under “Make it easier to manage windowsâ€Â￾ section.
  5. Click OK or Apply to make the change effective.
With Aero Snap disabled, the window won’t be automatically maximized and arranged when window is dragged to the edge of the screen, including both top and sides of the screen.

3. "Send feedback "is only required now, by certain beta testers in aspects of their work. For the remainder of users of the RC, provided you have not disabled the "services2 concerned, errors are automatically being sent to MS for examination.

4. Perhaps you mean: Type Msconfig in the start or run box, if you have tha enabled. Select the Startup Tab. There you can disable any programs you do not wish to have on initial start (Quicktime: Adobe reader:etc..)

Hello,

The easiest way to find info on power settings for your laptop is to go to Start > Help and Support and a type in laptop power

#2. Are you double-clicking on the title bar? You can simply place your cursor on the title bar and drag the window wherever you like.

#3. The Send feedback option is removed from the RC. I've heard that information about programs crashing is sent to Microsoft

#4. Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, then click the Startup tab. The only things you actually need running here are your anti-virus software, spyware detector or personal firewall if you have one.

I know of what you speak. This is one of my only quarrels with 7 so far. I also prefer to switch between High Performance and Power Saver. Creating your own plan won't work, because the quick tab will still only show Balanced and whatever other power option you used last.

The problem is that it always shows balanced, rather than simply the last 2 power options used. So far, the only solution I know of is to simply go to the advanced options of Balanced and emulate the settings of High Performance. However, it seems to simply be less potent. It might just be psychological, I guess.

" It might just be psychological, I guess. "

I.ll opt out of your "No 1". as I am not quite clear what it is you are trying to achieve. But try the other suggestions and see if it is what you are after.

power options

whathe means is that the balanced power option is always there. people usually switch between power saver and high performance. So you have to go all the way into "More Power options" to change to the other one.

I think the OP might have solved his problem 5 months ago, or went somewhere else for another solution.

Hi, I'm new in here...

I was wondering is someone solved the 'problem' of windows 7 not showing more than 2 power schemes in the taskbar, it's a bit of a pain in the...:D

Thanks

Question 4: Is there an easy way to alter what programs start up when Windows loads?

Consider the Speed tips at the link in my tagline:

Google Autoruns, set it up and turn off everything that loads automatically.

As for running virus scanners and firewalls all the time, I've only run one program called StartupMonitor for the last 10 years. I sometimes check stuff with Panda or Security Essentials but don't leave them on all the time.

The problem with most AV programs and other detection devices is that they basically lock the stall door after the mule has gotten out of the barn. I rather take preemptive measures.

I like startupmonitor better because it catches viruses, spyware and malware, and a LOT of other crap, trying to load into the locations that will execute the stuff on next boot BEFORE they get activated.

So you have a choice, make a mess, find the mess with an av program then try to clean it up... kind of like drug rehab.... or just say no.

FYI: You can show all power plans in tray jumplist (and do many more power management related tasks) using Power Plan Assistant for Windows 7. This is a donationware utility available for download at TechSpot: see Power Plan Assistant for Windows 7 v1.2b - TechSpot Downloads

Features

Power Plan Assistant allows a user to:

1. Switch between the Windows built-in power plans (all power plans, including custom plans, not just 2 of them, as it is when operating via system Power icon);

2. Easily observe which power plan is currently active (dynamic application icon in a taskbar notification area changes in accordance with an active power plan, does not matter where it has been changed - in a Control Panel, system Power icon or in the Power Plan Assistant itself);

3. Instantly power off the display on user's demand (why wait at least one minute for it to be powered off, wasting the energy?). The display can be waked up then by pressing any key or moving the cursor;

4. Switch the power plans automatically:
- to 'Power Saver' (to preventively save the energy if the battery level goes low);
- to 'High Performance' (on plugging in);
- to 'Balanced' (on unplugging).

Thank you SO MUCH MaggieAme! I have been looking for a solution to this annoyance from Windows 7 for months. It was really the only thing that got worse from Vista to 7.

I too tend to switch between High Performance and Power Saver, and always found it annoying that M$ added at least 3 clicks just to change the power plan. Considering that I only switch modes when on battery, I found it quite absurd that they made you waste valuable battery time waiting for the power menu to pop up.

Not only does this tool give me back 1-click access to ALL programed power plans, it also shows me the battery level, in terms of percentage, without having to hold my mouse over the power icon and waiting for the info to pop up.

I have now turned off the default Windows Power icon in favor of this program.

The worst part about this little annoyance has been the surprising lack of understanding by the W7 community to even understand the problem in the 1st place.

Thanks again. I wish M$ would have just left the Vista version instead of me having to install a 3rd party app just to restore the simplicity and functionality from their previous OS.

Hopefully M$ will fix this with W7 SP1...

FYI: You can show all power plans in tray jumplist (and do many more power management related tasks) using Power Plan Assistant for Windows 7. This is a donationware utility available for download at TechSpot: see Power Plan Assistant for Windows 7 v1.2b - TechSpot Downloads

Features

Power Plan Assistant allows a user to:

1. Switch between the Windows built-in power plans (all power plans, including custom plans, not just 2 of them, as it is when operating via system Power icon);

2. Easily observe which power plan is currently active (dynamic application icon in a taskbar notification area changes in accordance with an active power plan, does not matter where it has been changed - in a Control Panel, system Power icon or in the Power Plan Assistant itself);

3. Instantly power off the display on user's demand (why wait at least one minute for it to be powered off, wasting the energy?). The display can be waked up then by pressing any key or moving the cursor;

4. Switch the power plans automatically:
- to 'Power Saver' (to preventively save the energy if the battery level goes low);
- to 'High Performance' (on plugging in);
- to 'Balanced' (on unplugging).

I signed up just to say thanks to Maggie, please add to the record Maggie +1

Back