How safe is 'Auto fill' and 'Credit Card' details saved in Google Chrome

jestinvj

Hi,

Do u think that it is safe to save credit card info in Google Chrome browser?
Any one knows any event where data is stolen from chrome wallet?

I never save any CC # in any browser for any reason...just peace of mind for me personally.

I never save any CC # in any browser for any reason...just peace of mind for me personally.

This is advisable. Saving passwords in browsers is not advisable or as safe as using software like Roboform or LastPass. Specifically, Roboform Everywhere uses bank level security encryption to store personal data, notes, and auto-fill forms on multiple sites. It is the #1 most downloaded password manager in the world.

Chrome is perhaps the least secure browser in terms of storing auto-fill data. From within the settings, one can easily view a list of all stored credentials for every website - all an intruder would have to know is how to access the settings dialog.

It is just a candy snatching task for hackers to get the saved passwords in the browsers. Even i know how to do that :rolleyes:
But if you are using original Chrome OS notebook from Google then maybe it's safe because Windows hack tools won't work on linux as Google Chrome OS is based on linux so it's totally safe but if you are using Microsoft's operating system Windows (Any version) then never save the passwords & autofills in browser because Windows hack tools works on Windows & smoothly.

Well in reality you are just as safe as anyone using autofill and all that, its more your browsing habits that matter and not really the OS.
Though not using windows helps security wise.

Hi,

Do u think that it is safe to save credit card info in Google Chrome browser?
Any one knows any event where data is stolen from chrome wallet?
PUT A BIG LOAD OF ./;'/;'()*^ IN IT AND WATCH THEM USE IT AND SEND A VIRUS IF YOU CAN A LONG ONE

PUT A BIG LOAD OF ./;'/;'()*^ IN IT AND WATCH THEM USE IT AND SEND A VIRUS IF YOU CAN A LONG ONE

Ahem... again it is not advisable to store personally sensitive information, which you have a suspicion could, at some point, be compromised, in a web browser...

that last post went in the wrong place apologies why is there a green light on a post iwrote (its in the wrong place also!!)

Don't do it, as others has stated, use a reliable, well known & proven password managing app, of which I just downloaded the Roboform offering. It's not advisable to trust a browser for this, because one or two out of date versions can easily spell trouble. Some of has computers booted a time or two per month......meaning that Google Chrome is outdated.

If Mike endorses an app, then I trust it.;-)

Cat

The only thing not stored in plaintext in chrome and firefox are passwords. Everything else is plain text. CC #s the exp and the CCV code.

No way would I want those stored in the browser.

Because then all it would take is a data thief to clean one out is the CC or Debit card number, with a fund transfer. This is one of the reasons why I boot with a finalized DVD, either -R or +R, not RW, as these can be written to, plus no USB stick, to perform secure purchases. Nothing is saved to disk & the reboot will flush the entire session, one can do this even on a very Malware infested PC & it cannot access the memory while running a LIve OS.

Am not saying it's a good thing to do, on an infected computer, yet if one suspects their install is infected, why take chances when one needs to perform a transaction? The bootable DVD is perfect for the job, and the US Air Force also has a bootable Linux that fits on a CD for this purpose, secret & secure communication.

https://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

There are release notes & how to's on using this, one of the main ones, is after browsing, if have done so, is reboot to perform secure transactions. If desired, one can remove the HDD, or disconnect on a desktop PC, though this is more for peace of mind than anything, haven't heard of anyone reporting their credentials stolen while running the distro. It's small & therefore should download faster than the latest Linux Mint or Ubuntu, and updated quarterly.

If the distro maintained by the military is good enough to assist in protecting our homeland, I trust it also.

Cat

Back