Windows 10 How to auto-detect and auto-adjust max.resolution?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Assume I boot Win10 from an USB flash drive on various computers.

The max possible resolution differs from computer to computer.

I could always manually fiddle through the menus and set the current max.possible resolution manually.
But this is uncomfortable.

Is there a utility or cmdline command which searches automatically for the max possible resolution and set it up accordingly?

Peter

Hi Peter,
I've not seen anything that can do this automatically. Each computer or laptop has it's own graphic chip, and each monitor or display (laptop) has it's own unique settings and scan frequencies. It often takes researching all the components (GPU card or chip, and monitor/display) to figure this out in addition to good hardware diagnostics tools such SPECCY or SiSANDRA; and even then you can't always achieve the Max resolution the GPU card or chip states it can handle; say 1900x1600 if you are using an ancient monitor, say 10 years old that can only support 1400x900. So, in order to achieve max resolution on this computer, you'd have to run out and replace the monitor with something new enough to handle 1900x1600. If you don't and you ran a utility or diagnostic to find the max resolution, it would be worthless since the monitor being used can't achieve the GPU card/chip max resolution, right?:down:

This is not as much of a problem with a laptop, as the internal display such as SVGA, WXGA, etc. are paired by the manufacturer to achieve the max resolution of the GPU chip embedded on the Motherboard. In these cases, you might be able to use a couple of tools I mentioned to help you figure out the max resolution there. You could keep those tools on the W10 bootable flash drive, or keep a 2nd non-bootable data flash drive (I have several on my keychain) boot the W10 from the 1st flash drive, and then run the utilities from the 2nd flash drive (of course the laptop you would be using would need at least 2 USB ports, not all laptops such as netbooks have 2 ports, so you might have to carry a mini-usb hub with you. If you had room on the W10 flash drive, you could stick those tools in a folder if you have room, or a protected partition on the flash drive.

So the answer is no, not available for desktops, but for laptops and tablets you could use some good tools on your W10 stick or a 2nd stick and get your answers; but you'd still have to go into the laptop GPU utilities or W10 settings to change the resolution manually; and that's not what you want to do.

We may get some suggestions from others who have a better idea; but your real problem will be with desktop PCs as I said.

Can we inquire as to why your are bypassing computer OSes and booting W10 off a stick on multiple computers in the first place? Is this for your personal use or are you using it in a corporate business environment? This is certainly not a normal consumer use of W10.:andwhat:

Best,:D
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back
Top Bottom