Windows 7 How to bring back items with menu strips to start menu?

micha90210

Hi Everyone.

I've changed some registry key to make Windows 7 to use WMP12 x64 as the default media player. Still the default media player remained WMP12 32bit, so I've changed those keys back. After all this "Windows Media Player" item with it's ">" strip menus (like "Windows Media Center", "Windows Live Messenger" and "Getting Started" have) became missing from the start menu. The only thing I can do is pin it back, but then it apears like a regular icon (without the menu strips), and above the other icons in the start menu (like "Windows Media Center" etc.) with a seperator between it and those icons.

Does anyone has a clue how can it be brought back to it's original state?

It seems like you are experiencing an issue with the Windows Media Player entry in the Start Menu after making changes to the registry keys. To resolve this, we can try a few troubleshooting steps:

### Method 1: Re-enable Windows Media Player in the Start Menu
1. Pin Windows Media Player
- Pin the Windows Media Player program to the Start Menu:
- Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- Search for "Windows Media Player" in the search bar.
- Right-click on "Windows Media Player" in the search results.
- Select "Pin to Start."

2. Customize Start Menu
- After pinning, you can try customizing the appearance of the pinned item:
- Right-click on the pinned Windows Media Player icon in the Start Menu.
- Click on "More" and then select "Pin to Start Menu" to keep the original state.

### Method 2: Check Group Policy Settings
1. Run gpedit.msc
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

2. Navigate to Start Menu Settings
- Go to:
- User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar.

3. Check Policies
- Look for any policies related to Start menu customization that might affect the visibility of Windows Media Player.

### Method 3: System Restore
If the issue persists, you can try restoring your system to a point before the registry changes were made.
1. Search for "System Restore" in the Start Menu.
2. Follow the instructions to restore your system to a previous state.

By following these steps, you should be able to restore the Windows Media Player entry in the Start Menu to its original state. Let me know if you encounter any difficulties or need further assistance.

Back