Windows 8 How to change the username of the superadministrator?

carsten888

As in win7 I got a super admin account, and a normal working account. When installing win8 I had to enter the username of the administrator (mine), then I created my working account (also mine). To distinguish betrween the 2 I would like to call my administrator account 'administrator'.

How to change the username of the superadministrator?

Hi

I think you can just go to Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Safety, Change Account Type, click on the account icon, and you will get a windows that offers Change the Account Name.

Mike

I says I need another admin account to edit the account because there is only 1 admin account.

If I do that, can I delete the extra admin-account afterwards? Maybe its not possible to delete an admin account?

Don't do it!!! It is strongly advised to have more than one admin account. Even if you almost never use it/them. I've seen several system accounts so screwed up that they essentially were unusable or wouldn't even complete a login. Any system I build starts with three userids. Two admins and one user. Try it, you'll like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WindowsForum mobile app

Hi

I'm not sure if this will work or not but you can try it.
Log in to the real Administrator Account and see if it will let you change the name from there.

I don't know if this will help, but you can do a lot of things you can't do logged into a regular administrator account.
How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.
Type or cut and paste…

net user administrator /active:yes

and then press Enter.

Log out and log back in as Administrator.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in

net user administrator /active:no

I guess the reason that I can do it without jumping through hoops is because I do have two administrator accounts to start with. My computer came setup that way.

Accounts_zps5991fb36.jpg

Accounts2_zpsb0905013.jpg

Mike

As in win7 I got a super admin account, and a normal working account. When installing win8 I had to enter the username of the administrator (mine), then I created my working account (also mine). To distinguish betrween the 2 I would like to call my administrator account 'administrator'.

How to change the username of the superadministrator?

Allow me to clarify a few points...............

1. the only account that could be nicknamed "superadmin" is the BUILT-IN Administrator. As the name implies, it is included in the operating system. It is not an account you "created ".

You can either enable it or disable it ( as described by another member, Mike ).
You can give it a password or leave it without ( by default it has no password ).
You don't get an option to give it an username.
If you have enabled the built-in admin, it will look like this........** notice there is no name ***
Image 8.png

2. When you first installed Win 8, you were told to create an account. That account is your admin account.
It will look like this..... *** notice it has a name and it says Administrator under the name ***
admin acct.png

3. You said you had created a "work" account. I would assume that you mean a Standard account, not an admin account.
If so, then it will look like this.......*** notice it has a name but it does not say Administrator ***
standard acct.png

Now, if you can do screenshot, would you mind post it to show me what you really want?

Last edited:
Absolutely, David. The "Global" Admin account can be enabled at any time. I would not see any real purpose in having more than one Admin account, as suggested, although dasibie may have thoroughly good reasons.

Log in to the real Administrator Account and see if it will let you change the name from there.
From the administrator account I created when installing win8 I can't edit anything else but the rights.

1. the only account that could be nicknamed "superadmin" is the BUILT-IN Administrator. As the name implies, it is included in the operating system. It is not an account you "created ".
yeah, I noticed that when I tried to create a new local (else you can not enter user name at all!?) account called "administrator", there is a message that that name is protected.

Can the local hidden super "administrator" account edit usernames? So I can rename my normal (not hidden) local "administrator" to "admin".

2. yes

3. yes

Sorry, I can't make a screenshot of something that is not there yet ;)

I just want the normal working account I got now, and the normal local administrator account. All I need is to change the name of that administrator account, thats all.

Last edited:
Back