Windows 7 how to change windows 7 start up sound\ logon sound

If you want to change the logon sound you can do that in the sound control panel.

If you want to change the startup sound, it appears you have to hack the imageres.dll file, but I do not know how. You can turn it off in the Sound Control Panel.

Check this:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

i tried but like the other person in that thread windows will not let me change that dll file. i even took ownership of it. i do not know how to run Ubuntu Intrepid so i can not do the trick he did to get it to work. that is why i worded my request the way did, can not understand why micosoft is doing this with this sound. pretty lame if you ask me!!:mad:

I did this, and I like the result.

Now if I can just relate to you enough to help. First off, there AIN'T no easy way. Next, it would be easier if you could do Linux, or if you are dual-booted with XP. I suspect older windows than XP would do. There is another thread here in these 7Forums at http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-desktop-customization/2829-changing-startup-sound.html I didn't use it, but one poster says if you do not have dual-boot, you can do it in safe mode. Here, as best I remember is what I did.
I booted Xp -- Open "My Computer" -- My "7" is on another drive, so I opened that drive -- Navigate in "7" drive to: Windows> System32> imageres.dll -- I right-clicked and copy-pasted imageres to the desktop of XP. At this point others use ResHacker, but I did some reviews on it, and instead I downloaded and installed XN Resource Editor I used that to open the Imageres file because Windows can't/won't open it. In 7 the file that is the sound is 5080 and that is what you have to change to change the sound. Now, you must prepare whatever sound you want, rename it 5080.wave It must be a wave sound. Delete that wave that is in the original file and insert the new one you made. After I renamed mine, I tested one time to be sure it played.
Now this is where I used linux. I shut everything down,put a Knoppix cd in and booted from it. Then, running Knoppix, i entered W7, navigated back to imageres .dll As I remember, at this point, I renamed that file to imajeres and left it in place, then I copied the new modified imageres into the same folder. Thats it! Mine works!
Everyone who has done this has done something different. you will just have to read and work your way through. Maybe you have a techie friend who does Linux.
CAUTION!! to all who try this! I don't guarantee nothin! If you are not capable to repair any harm you can do inside Windows\ System32 , better stay out of Windows files.

i did find real easy way, thankfully. here read this guide which i found, real easy to do. oddly enough it is from right here on this forum
Change startup sound in windows 7

How to Change Start up sound in Windows 7 This assumes you are using American English versuion of W-7 Language type 1033
All Windows 7 allows is for you check or un-check play start up sound in Windows 7 you have to do the following to change the default sound of your choice

1) Use the following beta program Reshacker from

2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in C:\ Windows\System32 folder. For instance, C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker .

4) Open ResHacker. Open the imageres.dll file in ResHacker.

5) Find the folder that reads "WAVE" and expand everything below that.

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5080", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder.

Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.

8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory​

Glad to hear you did it!

As I already said everyone seems to use slightly different method

i did find real easy way, thankfully. here read this guide which i found, real easy to do. oddly enough it is from right here on this forum
Change startup sound in windows 7

How to Change Start up sound in Windows 7 This assumes you are using American English versuion of W-7 Language type 1033
All Windows 7 allows is for you check or un-check play start up sound in Windows 7 you have to do the following to change the default sound of your choice

1) Use the following beta program Reshacker from

2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in C:\ Windows\System32 folder. For instance, C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker .

4) Open ResHacker. Open the imageres.dll file in ResHacker.

5) Find the folder that reads "WAVE" and expand everything below that.

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5080", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder.

Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.

8) For Windows 7 go back to C:\Windows\System32 directory rename the imageres.dll to Imageres.old then copy and paste the new hacked Imageres.dll into C:\windows\system32 directory​

I changed to sound in my Win7 64 bit laptop using the resource hacker as described above. I had to take ownership of the specified dll file afterwards (set that to admin). I changed my logon image to a lone wolf howling and now I have the sound to accompany it. Thanks for the info!

Sorry didn't see an "edit post" button. Just wanted to add I don't have dual boot. I accomplished this is in my Toshiba with the one os mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom