Windows 7 How To Display Domain and Local Logon Accounts on Logon Screen

brianafischer

I have been testing Windows 7 on a work laptop within our company domain. I have run into something that seems to be a regression in productivity.

For the Windows XP logon screen, the user is prompted with a drop-down listbox for selection of the Domain or Local PC.
For Windows 7/Vista, the user does not have a drop-down listbox for selection of the Domain or Local PC. The user has to manually type in COMPUTERNAME\username.

Is there any way to display both a local PC account icon AND a domain account on the logon screen?

I have seen lots of pages explaining how to remove accounts from the logon screen, but nothing for adding accounts to be displayed.

Thanks!

Agreed, I have searched for months on how to add the "classic" logon window vs the new eye candy way with no luck. I even managed to force control alt del to logon, but that didn't bring up the classic logon window

Getting the Classic Login so you can Login to a domain

Do the Ctrl + Alt + Del then click on Swith User button. Select the blank OTHER USER and you will have the classic login screen so you can then use:

DOMAIN\USER NAME
PASSWORD

Do the Ctrl + Alt + Del then click on Swith User button. Select the blank OTHER USER and you will have the classic login screen so you can then use:

DOMAIN\USER NAME
PASSWORD

Thank you for the reply, the answer you provided does not address the question.

The "classic logon screen" is the Windows XP logon screen where the computer name AND domain names are provided as a drop-down. There are multiple issues with the "new" logon screen:

• How does the user know the computer/domain name name to type
  • Selecting a drop-down is MUCH faster than typing a long computer name
Thanks

I have been testing Windows 7 on a work laptop within our company domain. I have run into something that seems to be a regression in productivity.

For the Windows XP logon screen, the user is prompted with a drop-down listbox for selection of the Domain or Local PC.
For Windows 7/Vista, the user does not have a drop-down listbox for selection of the Domain or Local PC. The user has to manually type in COMPUTERNAME\username.

Is there any way to display both a local PC account icon AND a domain account on the logon screen?

I have seen lots of pages explaining how to remove accounts from the logon screen, but nothing for adding accounts to be displayed.

Thanks!

I believe this to be deliberate security enhancement.

Unfortunately as with most security features it reduces ease of use.

Mark

Instead of typing the whole computer name you can also do .\ this signifies a local login. Works a treat if you cant remember the computer name!!

So I would love to try to log in on a local account, but the "other user" icon does not show. It only shows some other accounts that are not the one I am trying to log into.

Back
Top Bottom