How to do you back-up windows servers in real-time??

harish konala

Could anyone tell me how the enterprise windows administrators do bacck-ups for windows servers??
video suggestions are very much helpful too..

Generally they are using enterprise software such as Backup Exec, not many rely on built in Windows backup programs.

Upvote Josephur.
They merely use Windows internal backup utility. there are many backup software in server edition designed for enterprises, and the backup task will be done with it.

Could anyone tell me how the enterprise windows administrators do bacck-ups for windows servers??
video suggestions are very much helpful too..

How they do backups is defined by the system used and what they need backed up... you are asking us "how long is a bit of string" mate

what server (08, 08r2, 12, 12r2)... now days we tend to assume Hyper-v (=V12r2) so that allows us to copy the server and then take the old one down or transfer it to another cluster if turning off isn't needed.

what do you need backed up... just the client data stored on it, a copy of the basic server before adding a new task like WSUS so you can roll it back in case you bugger something up or a total working (i.e, rolls installed and windows activated) copy.

Last edited:
Agreed, the solution is going to be wildly different between enterprises. It's going to come down to how much time (if any) can you afford to be down and what kind of a budget you have available. Many bigger enterprises are going to have SANs storage clusters, multiple active active data centers, some kind of redundant virtual infrastructure etc.

Back
Top Bottom