Windows 10 How to find reason for random crashes?

Josebra01

Hey there,
for a few days I am experiencing crashes on my Windows 10 desktop PC. I couldn't really find out any trigger yet and there is no BSOD. It could be possible, that it crashes more often, when I play graphic intense games, but it also crashed while just listening to spotify. Everything just stops working from one second to another and my monitors are freezed. Also the sound is freezed, so there is a weird artifact repeating until I reboot my pc by pressing the power button for a few seconds. How can I fix it and what information do I need to provide to you, so you can help me out? Thank you so much in advance!
I built the PC by myself 3 years ago and got a new graphic card for one year now, because the old one was broken.

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k (not overclocked)
Mainboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
Grapic card: AMD Radeon RX Vega
Windows Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Hey there,
for a few days I am experiencing crashes on my Windows 10 desktop PC. I couldn't really find out any trigger yet and there is no BSOD. It could be possible, that it crashes more often, when I play graphic intense games, but it also crashed while just listening to spotify. Everything just stops working from one second to another and my monitors are freezed. Also the sound is freezed, so there is a weird artifact repeating until I reboot my pc by pressing the power button for a few seconds. How can I fix it and what information do I need to provide to you, so you can help me out? Thank you so much in advance!
I built the PC by myself 3 years ago and got a new graphic card for one year now, because the old one was broken.

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k (not overclocked)
Mainboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
Grapic card: AMD Radeon RX Vega
Windows Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Hello Josebra, There are many reasons that can cause your pc to crash. Since you are not getting any sort of error or error message, neither you have a bsod, that makes the underlying issue if any unlooked. For a time being you can take these steps to remove and you shouldn't face it:
1. Check if you have the latest Windows installed or not. If not download, and restart your pc
2. Type in the search box on the bottom of the screen Command Prompt, and open it as run as admin and run these scans on it
* NOTE the space in the commands
. sfc /scannow
. dism.exe /online /cleanup-repair /restorehealth , once both done restart your pc and check up with your issue
Try this out and let us know.

Hey AsadAlam, thank you for your fast reply!

I just checked Windows update and I installed the latest updates.
I updated all the drivers on my pc with driver easy.
I got no violations with "sfc /scannow" and did the recovery process with "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth".
I also did error checking on my hdd and ssd and had some issues there but Windows fixed it. I also did "mdsched.exe" and deleted all temp files of Windows, but I still got another crash a few minutes ago.
What else can I do? Could it have something to do with the power supply or mainboard?
Thank you for your help!

It can be. Also did you tried to run the chkdsk command as well. How old is your device, like motherboard and RAM?

Yes I also tried chkdsk, but nothing useful sadly.

I am not sure but I guess my PC (motherboard and RAM) is around ~5 years old. The only thing I exchanged is the grapic card 1 year ago.

Try booting in the safe mode and see if the crash happens. If not then it might be problem with any of the programs/apps installed on your device. If it occurs, as you mentioned your device is old, it might be your motherboard, ram are on a verge to get destroyed, in that case you will have to get your device checked for it. Does your hardware becomes too hot?

Back