How to fix a corrupt rar file?

snowsrebekka

Hey, I downloaded a rar file which turns out is corrupt near the end, is there a tool to fix it? Just its a 2.5GB file which i dont realy want to wait for it to download again lol cheers EDIT: sorry its a tar file which contains rar files

Depending on the content you may or may not be best advised to even try and repair. The condition of the contents of the file will be very suspect If it contains something images or text for instance it may amount to indistinguishable corruption but if the file contains executable, code, scripts etc then a single bit or byte of corruption. Unless your connection is desperately slow I would be inclined to redo the download. If you want to try and repair the archive there are commercial packages (mostly tend to cost £) which you could google for.

Manual Solution to fix a damaged RAR file:

Click on RAR file

After it click on the “File” option available at the top of left hand side and then choose "Open Archive",locate corrupt RAR file and click "Open"

Click on "Extract To" option, check the box "Keep Broken Files" and then click on "Save Settings"

Click "OK" to extract the corrupt RAR archive

Step 1: Run WinRAR and in address bar, navigate to the location where the corrupted archive is saved.
Step 2: Select corrupted RAR or ZIP file. Click Repair button in tool bar, and choose “Repair archiver” if there is a drop-down list.
Step 3: Then a new dialog would pop up. There you can choose the location where you want to save the archive after repairment. Confirm settings and click OK.
Step 4: After 100% repairing corrupted archive, go to the folder you choose to save repaired archive, and find the file named _rebuilt.rar or _rebuilt.zip. This file is the repaired archive file you want.

sorry its a tar file which contains rar files
There's no way to repair corrupt TAR file. The only thing one can do here is recover data from it via a professional archive recovery software. Though there are many software vendors in the market which provide such recovery tools, but hardly few support recovery from TAR archives. Archive Recovery software is one such solution which supports different type of archive files including TAR. It's available with free demo version, you must download it. For more information, you can visit sourceforge.net/projects/archive-recovery/

Hope it would be helpful.

Thanks and best regards.

It might also be worth mentioning, since we don't know what kind of file your TAR file is composed of, if it's an audio or video file and contains copyrighted music or movies covered under the DRM Act of 2006, there is software floating around on the Internet that searches out and corrupts or destroys the contents of these files since it's a direct copyright infringement to redistribute these files without royalties being paid.
This is especially true if you got this file from any kind of P2P file sharing site such as the old Napster site, uTorrent, or Pirate Bay. We usually don't pry into what your source file contains, but you should know that if you got your file from one of these P2P or other sites, it's quite likely to be rendered inoperable permanently and commercial recovery software, even fee-based, may not be capable of repairing.:headache:

To test this out, I would attempt to re-download it on a different Windows computer with RAR on it and see if you get a better result. If you don't it's quite likely to be pirated content.:pirate:

'nuff said.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Manual Solution to fix a damaged RAR file:

Click on RAR file

After it click on the “File” option available at the top of left hand side and then choose "Open Archive",locate corrupt RAR file and click "Open"

Click on "Extract To" option, check the box "Keep Broken Files" and then click on "Save Settings"

Click "OK" to extract the corrupt RAR archive
This is good. It works great. You just need WinRAR for this. WinRAR tool has a couple of features which you can use to repair RAR file. One has been shared above by alexwastonjunior, and another one is Repair Archive feature.

I do not know about the RAR files, but I know a method to help you recover the corrupt files. Actually, I don't know whether it works under your condition.
It is a third-party software named Easeus data recovery software. I've used it for I lost some important files. and in the official web, I remembered that I saw an article about corrupt files recovery, it mentioned RAR files, but I didn't finish it. If no method could help you , just try it.
You can google easeus, and then find the official web.
Good Luck.

Are you a fan of EaseUs software. It's hard to believe that you've tried many software tool provided by EaseUs. I hope you're not promoting this brand.
If it is free and why nott try it? I used firstly to recovery my phone files, but I didn't know which is for the phone, so I try the pc version firstly. and then I know the phone version is another product. and then I try the backup software. OF course , all free version.=

Back