Windows 7 [HOW TO FIX] Windows won't update after clean install (SP1)

KinnEisner

Hi guys, so iv'e been looking for this solution for like 4 days straight, this is the only one that worked for me, and alot of other guys out there. I DID NOT make this tutorial, but i wanted to share it with you guys, if anyone have the same problem.

Note:
These instructions have been updated with elements from a Reddit post by user “good1dave“. Please consider visiting the forum and giving him an upvote on his thread.

1. Start with a fresh install of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with network drivers installed. During the install procedure choose “Ask me later” when prompted to select update settings.
    windows7_updates-520x430.png

• If you did not choose “Ask me later” as your update setting during the install process, change your update settings via “Start” > “Windows Update” > “Change settings” > and choose “Never check for updates (not recommended).” Then restart your computer.
    • If your Windows 7 install does not include Service Pack 1, be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 first.

2. To install the “Convenience Rollup,” you will need to install a prerequisite patch first. Download and install the prerequisite KB3020369, known as the “April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7.” (alternate link to KB3020369 files)

3. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

4. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3125574 known as the “Convenience Rollup.”
    • Option 1: Direct download links
    • Option 2: Using the Microsoft Update Catalog (try a different browser if you encounter problems.)

5. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

6. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3138612 known as “Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 2016.” (alternate link to KB3138612 files)

7. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

8. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3145739 known as “Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-039 — Security Update for Microsoft Graphics component (3148522).” (alternate link to KB3145739 files)

9. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

10. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3172605 known as the “July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.” (alternate link to KB3172605 files)

11. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.
Windows update should now be working, if not, restart again :)
Remember to turn "Automatic Updates" on again. Cheers.

Yeah this is pretty well documented around the internet, Windows 7 per Microsoft intentionally does not receive Windows updates anymore through the Windows Update mechanism; however, you can still get updates on software and drivers. There was a bug introduced at some point which causes WU to take hours to days to search. I haven't looked at the reddit post but this bug and fix are well documented on various sites. My opinion is Microsoft is making it harder to update on Windows 7 in an attempt to get people to move to Windows 10.

Back