Windows 7 How to force motherboard/graphic card to send signals to monitor?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Once I turn off my monitor and turn it on again my TFT monitor has problems to get input signals again from the (running) computer.
It remains dark with an indicator "no input signal" and I have to reboot the whole computer to get everything working again.

I think whenever a monitor is turned on then NORMALLY the monitor sends a "hello I am alive again" signal to the graphic card. The graphic card knows then that it has to send stuff to the monitor.

In my case there seems to be no such "Hello" signal from the monitor->graphic card.

On the other hand I could simulate by manual keyboard strokes such an signal and force the graphic card to resume sending signals.

Is this somehow possible?

Peter

How old is the monitor?

How do you have it connected?

Have you loaded a driver for the type of connection you have or a driver for the monitor?

I think the monitor is working as it should. The monitor does not control the graphics card, the card controls the monitor. The monitor does not know if it is connected to a PC, TV, or a MAC.

However, you should not have to reboot the machine. Wiggling the mouse or hitting a couple keys should wake the card, which should then signal the monitor to wake up. And it sounds like you are able to do that.

I don't see a problem here.

@saltgrass:

>How old is the monitor? approx 3-years TFT
>How do you have it connected? HDMI cable
>Have you loaded a driver for the type of connection you have or a driver for the monitor?
yes, otherwise it would not work at all

@Digerati:
>I think the monitor is working as it should. The monitor does not control the graphics card, the card >controls the monitor. The monitor does not know if it is connected to a PC, TV, or a MAC.
Exactly what I think

>However, you should not have to reboot the machine. Wiggling the mouse or hitting a couple keys should wake >the card, which should then signal the monitor to wake up. And it sounds like you are able to do that.

Thats exactly the problem. I did that 4321415 times and it does NOT wake up the monitor

Peter

Thats exactly the problem. I did that 4321415 times and it does NOT wake up the monitor
Then your complaint should be, "keyboard and mouse don't wake up computer", rather than "turning monitor on does not wake up computer", as you seem to indicate when you said,
I think whenever a monitor is turned on then NORMALLY the monitor sends a "hello I am alive again" signal to the graphic card. The graphic card knows then that it has to send stuff to the monitor.

Okay, so we are on the same page now. You need to look in your BIOS Setup Menu to ensure the "Wake on..." settings for keyboard and mouse are set to on. Depending on your BIOS, you may have to set some PME (Power Management Event) settings in the BIOS Menu too.

Did it ever work right? When did this start?

This could also indicate a problem, or wrong setting for your USB ports. It could be in the BIOS, or in Windows Control Panel > Power > Advanced settings.

Back
Top Bottom