Windows 7 how to get windows 7 ultimate cheaper!

o, and if you could find ten people who might want it you could save another 14 bucks, if you have the money, you could probably turn around and sell it for profit!

um, from what I understand, you will be able to install on any system without any problems as an end user

The difference you are buying the OEM version

The OEM has different licensing then the retail version and also the support is different.

Limitations of OEM.
OEM copies purchased through online retailers and, occasionally, in retail stores. They are designed for system builders, and are just a copy of the OS, identical to the full retail version. However, they come with several limitations:
* Once installed on one computer it can never be installed on another machine, nor are you permitted to replace the motherboard.
* You receive no technical support from Microsoft.
* You can only perform a clean installation of the OS, not an upgrade.

but in the case of upgrading to windows 7, wouldn't it circumnavigate the oem license? or would it just be an oem upgrade?

If you want to "Upgrade" an OEM machine contact the manufacturer of the machine.

Cheers,
Drew
I'm not talking about the machine I'm talking about the software, newegg is selling oem vista with free win7 upgrade when released, you might wanna read the whole thread before you answer

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a system builder copy of Vista. It is only for the same machine it was originally installed on. You can reinstall infinitely - but only on that one machine.

I haven't tried to do an upgrade with it - but there is the option to do so when you load the dvd from within windows - so I am pretty sure you can.

The question is - what is the license for 7 upgrades - is that also retricted to one machine - or does it continue the license of your original qualifting media?

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a system builder copy of Vista. It is only for the same machine it was originally installed on. You can reinstall infinitely - but only on that one machine.

I haven't tried to do an upgrade with it - but there is the option to do so when you load the dvd from within windows - so I am pretty sure you can.

The question is - what is the license for 7 upgrades - is that also retricted to one machine - or does it continue the license of your original qualifting media?
that's exactly what I was wondering and can't really seem to get a straight answer from anyone...

but what if I were to install it over my existing full rtm version instead of the oem? how would it know any difference as an upgrade?

okay, so newegg is selling the system builder's vista ultimate(oem) for 190 but they also give you the coupon for free upgrade to windows 7, therefore, I am wondering if the upgrade would be oem or treated like rtm...

I would imagine it would continue your existing license.

If that is the case - because the upgrade can't teel what the license is if you use one of the clean methods - there may be nothing to stop anyone - even those who originally had an OEM moving it to a different machine as per the retail license.

I do not know if you can upgrade from OEM to RTM (in the way you are thinking, probably not, as the free upgrade will probably be OEM also)

But if you have an OEM License,,, can you upgrade to a Retail RTM 7 license? I don't know.
I want to say I think you can.
You have a previous windows License, you are still upgrading a previously purchased license of windows.
So, I think you can. Someone better versed in the licensing of windows may want to clarify on this a bit more though.

The caveat to this is, you need Disc's to prove to the Upgrade install that you did have a previous license/install of windows. I do not know if you will need the actual previous license, or just a disk. As most OEM systems do not come with disks, they must be made after initial setup through whatever means that company setup for (Dell, HP etc.) to create the restore disks. Most people don't make the disks and end up having to order them from the company (Dell, HP etc.), which in some cases they stop producing, sell out and have none available, so the upgrade purchase could be pointless for some. There are ways around that, but I will not discuss them here.

My wording below,,, was slightly off target of the OP initial question.....
When you purchase OEM, all following FREE upgrade will also be OEM.

To clarify what others have said.....

OEM and FREE upgrade to OEM, are all OEM software.
Once Activated on a PC it is tied to that PC till it (the Motherboard) dies.
At which point, the license and the PC go in the trash together.

The Disk itself (technically this is a gray area) can still be used. It's the license type that matters most.
An OEM disk should not work with Retail Licenses and vise versa.

The System Builders Kit that can be purchased, is (as far as I know) supposed to only be sold with some (at least one) piece of hardware. In other words, they are supposed to be for actual system builders and not really sold to general public. But this too is a gray area. And this is due to the OEM nature of the licensing. It is also why you get it cheaper, because it is tied to that one activated system. (for clarification) You can install it on a number of PC's untill one activates it, then it is tied to that PC which activated the copy..

So,,, if you are OK with purchasing OEM licensed windows, Then I say go for it. Yes, you do get it cheaper.
You get it even cheaper when actually buying it with a PC, (dell, HP, etc.)

But if Home Built no warranty system dies, and you build a new PC, you have to purchase it again.
And so then, retail ends up being even cheaper.

Also, you might want to check this......... OEM = 32bit or 64bit ,, one or the other only,, not both.

Retail = Both 32bit and 64bit disks.

are you sure about the 32 bit 64 bit thing? it really doesn't matter to me because I ordered the 64 bit vista ultimate and in turn should be getting the 64 bit win7, but who knows until it actually arrives... it is my understanding that if you buy the oem product with the upgrade, you will not receive it immediately like the upgrades that you can have delivered to your door on the 22nd. the thing that confuses me is that the retail versions of windows I've had were all unable to be installed on another computer, maybe I was doing something wrong but it told me that the key is invalid or something, and what if you never register the os with microsoft? would you be able to install an oem on as many computers as you'd like?

Windows 7 Release Candidate is a free download from Microsoft. Your not getting anything free from Newegg. The wording where they put OEM after Release Candidate is confusing because in RC there is no OEM or Retail. They are only in the finished product.

I know
That is why i posted it

Back
Top Bottom