Windows 7 how to get windows 7 ultimate cheaper!

Yes, you get both 32bit and 64bit versions in one box with retail purchase.
You do not get them both with OEM. I am not sure if the key will work with either OEM 32bit and 64bit. It might, but they sell them separately so I am skeptical.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade: Software

And here.....
Buy, download Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade from Microsoft Store

As for the newegg thing, it is a misprint. Whoever they had write that is an idiot.
Keep in mind, those are probably marketing sales people and for general knowledge of what they sell, they are pretty much clueless.

Think,,,, Bestbuy floor sales guy with a geeksquad shirt who just got done taking their A+ and thinks they know more than they actually do.

Any valid key will work with any install dvd.

An OEM (sytem builder ) key works with the Retail install media and vice versa.

The keys determine the Edition ( Premium, Pro Ultimate ) that is installed from the dvd.

Keys are not bit version specific.

A key that came with an OEM 64 bit dvd will work with the Retail 32 bit dvd.

During Activation and subsequent validation - the key and product ID are checked online by MS.

They don't know and don't care what dvd you used.

Hope it helps

Any valid key will work with any install dvd.

An OEM (sytem builder ) key works with the Retail install media and vice versa.

The keys determine the Edition ( Premium, Pro Ultimate ) that is installed from the dvd.

Keys are not bit version specific.

A key that came with an OEM 64 bit dvd will work with the Retail 32 bit dvd.

During Activation and subsequent validation - the key and product ID are checked online by MS.

They don't know and don't care what dvd you used.

Hope it helps
so if I were to get the upgrade key from my upgrade and a retail win7 dvd, there would be no problem installing? what would it register as though?

It would register exactly the same license and Edition as if you had used an upgrade dvd.

The dvd's are identical - only the key that comes on the box is different.

You would still need to provide evidence of a previous qualifying windows, or do the double install dance in order to activate.

The only thing that is different is if you have a manufacturer pre installed version - often the dvd they supply is not an installation dvd - it contains their own disc image.

If anyone is unfortunate enough to get one of those - don't despair.

You can get hold of a proper install dvd and use the key off the sticker on the machine. That is the key you paid for - it is the proper MS license key.

Occasionally ( depending on the oem manufacturer ) you will need to ring them to get them to register the key.

It is a great way to get a clean install without all the manufacturer junk.

You may need to d/l the drivers for your machine from the manufacturer website and get them on cd beforehand - just in case the proprietary components require special drivers.

A friend of mine recently installed from the Vista SP2 integrated dvd on his Dell machine - activated straight away with the product key that came with the machine and needed no additional drivers.

I see, well, I don't really mind the oem version because I never called microsoft for support anyway, if I can't figure it out, I'm sure someone has somthing online that will help me but it seems as though win7 will be a non-issue judging from the rc...

I don't really mind the oem version because I never called microsoft for support anyway,

Unless you have to replace your PC. Then you have to repurchase the OS. If you want to stay legal.

Unless you build your own machine - the next one you buy will have 7 Premium on it anyway.

BTW - You can use a Retail key with an OEM dvd - and an OEM key with a Retail dvd.
The dvd's are identical.

I have heard prople say they rang the free phone activation - told them the mobo died and - and they got activated that way.

Never tried it myself.

Why do you want OEM version as opposed to pre order upgrade?

Do you really need the couple of things Ultimate has that Pro doesn't ?

Not questioning your judgemmenet - just curious as to why anyone would want that - specially given the massive price difference.

Anyone wanting Ultimate might consider joining Technet for a year ($ 249 with the current discount coupon) - much better value .

The software and keys you get - still valid after your subscription ends.

I have heard prople say they rang the free phone activation - told them the mobo died and - and they got activated that way.

Never tried it myself.

Why do you want OEM version as opposed to pre order upgrade?
already bought the vista ultimate oem with free win7 ultimate upgrade, it doesn't really matter much to me if it is oem, I just wanted to know what the exact definition was although it seems there are many loop holes and complications with oem software, I understand the no support part and can deal with that but hardware failure is a real possibility...

It doesn't always work, but yes, you can call MS and possibly get reactivated.

The key words are.....

Only this one

HDD Replacement due to failure

The other problem though comes from them asking for serial numbers and manufacturer of the system (i.e. Dell, HP etc.) because it is OEM. You can explain that you are a System Builder, but I do not know how far that will get you.
Call back. But I have had them refuse to activate an OEM license on a couple occasions. It all depends on who is on the other end of the phone, (Jay or Rick from india) hehehe.

Back