Windows 7 How to install IE6 on windows 7?

Really thanks for that respond although i already knew that, but thanks for wasting your own time doing so. Anyways, there has got to be an administrator who can design a theme for firefox or ie that mimics ie 6 or 7. I mean how hard can it be for a computer programmer. I'm sure it might take a day or so but theres got to be a way, i mean this its for a pc not mac, anythings possible. Can someone reply with an actual answer i want to hear. Thanks

CSS has a solution for running IE7 and IE8 on XP as well as running IE6 on Windows 7 all using Microsoft App-V Technology and NOT Med-V. However this solution is not supported by Microsoft and only is supported by CSS
You can contact them at 877-715-5448
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I don't know why you want to install IE6 on your computer because it is no longer supported on many websites and some like My Space will not let you on with IE6. Also there is a risk of viruses with IE6,which was never very secure,when it was brought out and also in my experience. I have used IE6 in Internet cafes in the days before I got my laptop,as that was all they had. And IE6 crashes and shuts down Windows frequently. Having said that the choice of if or not to install it is up to you. You cannot install IE6 or IE7 on windows 7 as Windows 7 only supports IE8 or 9 and as IE8 is already installed on all Windows 7 computers by default. It will not let you install earlier versions of IE. But there is a way round this-there is a program call multiple IEs and another called IE installer. This is a stand alone application stored on separate files from IE8 that lets you run multiple versions of IE side by side. It will run IE3,IE4,IE5,IE6,and IE7 all together side by side. But in my experience I found that i could not get any of the IEs to work on my laptop. When I clicked on them,none of the browsers would open and other IEs I tried did not work. So I cannot promise that you will have any luck with them,but it is free to try anyway. But I myself have uninstalled IE from my laptops as I never use it and I think you would be better off trying some thing like Green browser or Avant browser. These are web browsers bases on the IE engine,but they are not IE.But they can view web pages in IE mode but are faster and safer and better than IE. Andrea Borman.

If you can run virtual XP on your machine it comes with IE 6, but many sites need IE 7 and above. you can upgrade to IE 8 on the virtual XP it is part of the optional upgrades.

I have no idea how to install ie6 on windows 7 or get a theme for explorer 8 of ie6... can someone help me!!

Unfortunently, I cannot have Virtual PC on my laptop because it is a 1GB Netbook and the minumin regquirement to run this program is 3GB so this is not an option for me. But I have never found any websites that need IE6 or IE7 to view them. Even the Microsoft sites and Windows Live Spaces for example work very well with web browsers,such as Firefox or Google Chrome. At least I do not have any problems on any sites with these browsers. But I myself would never use IE anyway as it is slow,crashes and does not perform as well as other web browsers. And when we have such good browsers such as Mozilla Flock and a choice of so many others,why use IE? Andrea Borman.

I use Stardock products and to install them you must have Impulse which requires IE 7 or above as one of the requirements. IE 6 is out of date and really needs to go to the wayside. I have to agree with the following which has already been stated
" I don't know why you want to install IE6 on your computer because it is no longer supported on many websites and some like My Space will not let you on with IE6. Also there is a risk of viruses with IE6,which was never very secure,when it was brought out and also in my experience."

You could always use Firefox with a theme that makes it look like IE6. You really need to stay away from IE6. It has way too many security flaws and they will never make an effort to fix them. Firefox is a much safer web browser.

Firefox Browser | Upgrade to the latest version of Firefox | Free Download

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3984/

Oops, I just realized the link I put up for "addon/3984" only works for Firefox 2. Maybe this will work.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7944/

Anyway whatever you do will be far better than using IE6.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to install ie6 on windows 7 or get a theme for explorer 8 of ie6... can someone help me!!

stueycaster has the best answer. IE6 is a security sinkhole. Even if you could get it up and running, you'd be a madman to do so. IE6 was the last version of IE that was heavily tied to the Windows kernel. Whereas newer versions of IE are modular and won't take down the whole OS, IE6 seemed almost fond of doing so.

Further, you could run Unity in VMWare Workstation (a virtual machine product) to make it look like you are running IE6 in Windows 7. Explorer would still be unchanged and this would require:

• VMWare Workstation (commercial virtualization product that costs money)
  • An additional activated copy of Windows XP that must be installed and apply no Windows updates.
  • Configure the virtual machine to use bridged networking.
  • Run the program under the Unity feature and it will be launched in a window in Windows 7.

This will cost you over $200 to do, practically. Or you can just run the latest version of a different browser and be 100x more secure and save your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,there a software from Microsoft called Windows XP mode and I have tried it but it did not work as I have a 1GB Netbook. And the minimun requirement is 3GB to run XP mode. But it was not the download of XP mode that I had problems with. I was stupid enough to download VM ware player and this nearly destroyed my laptop. After I downloaded VM ware player,which did not install anyway,my keybord did not work any more nor did the touch pad. Fortunently I had a plug in mouse which I use and this was the only thing not effected. I manage to navigate to recovery section in control pannel and did a system restore. That is restore my computer to an ealier piont in time,in my case 2 days ago before I downloaded VM ware player. after I did the recovery my computer was back to normal. But I just want to warn any body who is thinking of using VM ware player,DONT WHAT EVER YOU DO INSTALL VM WARE PLAYER-as it wrecked my computer. And if it was not for recovery,my computer would not be working now. So if you are thinking of installing Windows XP mode to use IE6,always use the Microsoft downloads,such as Virtual PC from the Microsoft website. Not third party products. Andrea Borman.

That's funny I installed VMware Player on my old XP desktop with 1 gig ram and tested Windows 7 on it. I know several of people that use VMware on laptops. Is this the same laptop you were trying to load Linux on a couple weeks ago and spent a week arguing with the guy trying to help?
Joe

Last edited:
The laptop I installed VM Ware player on is an HP mini 210 notebook or Netbook 1GB, Windows 7 Ultimate which I have upgraded to from Windows 7 Starter.I have 2 Netbooks both of the same model.Well,Microsoft does say that you cannot install Windows XP mode on anything less than 3GB. And as I only have 1GB my laptop is not suited to run Windows XP mode. But it was the VM Ware player that caused the problems. I have read that some of these softwares have viruses maybe,when I downloaded the VM ware Player,the VM Ware player had a virus. But it was lucky for me that I was able to sort out my problem by doing a system restore,recovery,and I set my computer back to an earlier time before I installed VM ware player.As the recover saved my laptop,I am sure. Recovery is a lifesaving tool for your computer,when things go wrong. And they do not have recovery on Linux yet,so I do not know what you do there if you make a mistake and mess some thing up on your computer. Andrea Borman.

If you download from a reputable source like the maker or MS there won't be a virus problem. If you downloaded this from VMware site there will not be a virus. That would come from downloading off torrent and third party sites. Or by not having up to date security software and already being affected.
Joe

Well,I did download VM ware player from the actual website but the download did not complete,it froze in the middle of it so I canceled it. Then I found that my laptop keyboard and touch pad was not working.I don't think it did install a virus but then I don't really know but I have to do a recovery to put my laptop right again. But I would advise anyone who has had problems like I had with the download not to download that software again and try some thing else. Andrea Borman.

I would suggest to everyone that they forget about VMWare and XP. Get into Windows 7. Get programs that work with W7. Get hardware that works with W7. Go to work and harp at them to change to W7. XP never worked right. Windows 7 is the only way to go. Just do it.

Hey, just a suggestion. Don't get mad. :rolleyes:

Hey that is true, however there some business that have proprietary software that will not run on W7, to replace this software especially in manufacturing can and would be costly.
If this the case I say get W7 Pro or Ultimate so you can run XP in virtual mode. I do this on my home machine.

There are some software programs that won't even install or aren't supported on Windows 7. They maybe occasional or special use and expensive to replace if still available newer isn't always better. I also like a VM to test software especially freeware before I load on actual PC. I've also experimented a bit slipstreaming Windows 7 and test on a VM. Virtual PSs do have a useful purpose.
Joe

I bought my 2 laptops this year in 2010 and they are both Windows 7 Netbooks-HP Mini 210,which I upgraded from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Ultimate. Before that I was using Internet cafes. Where there they do not have Windows 7,just Windows XP or some times Windows Vista. That is the only experience I have has With Windows XP but I have never used it at home. And also all Windows computers and laptops are no longer sold with Windows XP or vista.They are sold with Windows 7 and have been for over a year now. But Windows 7 is the most user friendly version of Windows to use. And most of the software that works in Windows XP and Vista will work in Windows 7. Even the older programs that were made for Windows XP before Windows 7 was made.It is true that some programs do not work on Windows 7 but they are very few of those. Also you will not be able to install IE6 or IE7 if you have a later version of IE,such as IE8,even on Windows XP.Andrea Borman.

Back