Windows 7 How to limit my RAM?

nexus3019

Hello everyone! I have been using my laptop, Dell Inspiron 1464, since 2011. It came with pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Sometime around 2013, I accidentally limited my RAM to a mere 256 MB (original size - 4 GB) from inside the windows, and not from the BIOS.

This prevented my laptop from booting up. After several failed attempt, my computer was somehow able to boot up, although it took more than 10 min to do so. As I was still not aware of the problem, I checked my system properties. It listed my RAM as 256 MB and I was shocked. Then somehow I was able to find that setting again and removed the limit. After a restart, my computer was back to normal again and I never messed with advanced settings again......until now!

Today, just out of curiosity, I tried to find that settings again. However, I can't find that setting. Can someone please tell me where to find it, or has Microsoft removed it?

P.S.- I have also checked my BIOS, there is no such setting in it.

Hello everyone! I have been using my laptop, Dell Inspiron 1464, since 2011. It came with pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Sometime around 2013, I accidentally limited my RAM to a mere 256 MB (original size - 4 GB) from inside the windows, and not from the BIOS.

This prevented my laptop from booting up. After several failed attempt, my computer was somehow able to boot up, although it took more than 10 min to do so. As I was still not aware of the problem, I checked my system properties. It listed my RAM as 256 MB and I was shocked. Then somehow I was able to find that setting again and removed the limit. After a restart, my computer was back to normal again and I never messed with advanced settings again......until now!

Today, just out of curiosity, I tried to find that settings again. However, I can't find that setting. Can someone please tell me where to find it, or has Microsoft removed it?

P.S.- I have also checked my BIOS, there is no such setting in it.

You can't choose which part of RAM to disable but you can set maximum RAM usage in Windows: Run msconfig.exe > Boot > Advanced options > Maximum memory and see if that helps.

Regards,
Adrian

Back
Top Bottom