Windows 7 how to make administrator the owner

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
everytime I have to reinstall w7 it makes "unknown contact" the owner of the folders/files on my other drive/partition, since I do a clean install onto C:

If I take ownership it makes me the owner.
How do I take back ownership as the administrator and not me.

OK, I may have the idea, but how do I login as administrator without going to safe mode when there is only me as user - log login required.

On the properties section Security, Advanced Button, there should be an owner tab. Select that and click the edit button.

I am not sure of your exact situation, but you should not have to redo you files on a separate partition if your are reinstalling Win 7. Can you not access them? Are you using the same user name? I don't remember seeing an Unknown Contact shown as owner, but I only run my personal systems.

well, everytime I have reinstalled W7 it creates an unknown contact for may of the folders on the D: drive and that unknown contact is now the owner. I suspect what it is doing is changing the previous system owner to unknown contact and creating another Administrator entry who is not the owner. So I must clean it all up one by one. There is no access issue, just garbage.
Maybe if I set the owner to my login, which I maintain under the same name each time I reinstall, it would not do that. Not sure.

But that is the info i was looking for , thanks

Back