How To: Make Dvds In Linux, Should be useful for all Distros

Adamsappleone

U.S.Navy D.A.V.
1. Download Link Removed - Invalid URL. This program will allow you to take a movie in .avi or .mp4 format, and turn it into a .iso that you can burn to a disc and watch in any DVD player.
A. Open DeVeDe and click Video DVD
B. On the left you will see Titles. Keep Title 1 hilighted and click Properties. Change the title to your liking.
C. Change the default format to NTSC if appropriate. This chart will help you decide which format to use.
D. We can change the menu to our liking as well. On the bottom right, you will see Menu Options. Click this, and a new window should pop up. Here, you can change the background image of the menu. I recommend using PNG format for a picture here, for optimal quality. You can also select an mp3 for the background as well. Just hit the file browser button and select one. You can also change the alignment, color, and text, as well as preview the menu.
E. If you have a multicore processor, you're in luck. Click Advanced Options and then check Use optimizations for multicore CPUs. There are some other things you can play around with here as well.
F. At the top, under the file for the movie, select Properties and a new window will appear. Here you can select which here is where you can select which .avi to rip, if you have more than one to choose from. You can also play with aspect ratio and quality settings, but for the most part, default will suffice.
G. On the main window, click Forward. Rename your movie to "Title DVD" for convenience and select the location to save. The .iso will be inside the folder. I would recommend plugging your laptop in if you're using one, and closing out of any other unnecessary programs to decrease the time involved here. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to do this, but times will vary based on your CPU.

2. It's time to burn the movie. I recommend using K3b. If you don't have that already, go ahead and grab it from the repository. Insert a blank DVD-R or DVD-RW and open K3b. Click File>New Project>New Video DVD. There are various settings with this program that you can tinker with, but I pretty much leave everything at default. Simply choose your .iso from the browser on the left and then add it to the project, or burn the image directly. This should only take ten or fifteen minutes. When it is done, there will be a short noise and the disc will eject.

3. Put it in your DVD player and enjoy.

Back