Windows 7 how to make the processor work at a specific frequency?

kasapomashero

Does anyone know a program or a way to make the processor work at a specific frequency?
e.g. = if the processor is 1.5GHZ , to make it work at 1GHZ when i want to , using a program..

I am running windows 7 64bit ultimate

Many thanks

dont really work dude..
on my alienware i have the alienfx program and lets u choose the percentage of the processor that is used..these ones dont seem to do anything.. :/
any other suggestions?

Doesn't Alienware offer any tools for that? If not, search your motherboard support, Intel, and AMD.

..i have an alienware..and i have an acer netbook..as i said..
i can do it on my alienware..
BUT i want to do it on another machine..my acer..WITHOUT alienware related programs..so alienware forums are not related in this case..
Is there any program? that can do that? i heard about a program that can do that on XP but not on win7..

At least CPU Speed Adjuster works fine on my machine:
CPU SD.PNG

Although it has some problems with multiple cores. As you can see above, I set it to slow down my CPU 50% but since I have 2 cores it slowed down only 25%. And the value changes between 20-30%.

Isn't this what you want? The slowdown program takes up CPU time -> slower CPU.
I guess it's possible to underclock a CPU so that it really works at a lower frequency...

Last edited:
basically my netbook has 2 cores and 4 threads..1.5ghz..
after i installed windows 7 64bit ultimate..it wont step down even when it is at an idle state..so i wanted to make it step down manually..With windows 7 starter it was stepping down to 1 ghz or even less..the program that you suggested doesn't seem to change anything..:/ and i tried it on 2 machines

Aah now I see what you mean... You want the CPU to throttle back like it did before.. Ok, first go to the Alienware website and download all the drivers and updates. These may include the driver needed to support power optimization..
You can also check your power settings and see if they look similar to the ones in the screenshot.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Open up the processor power settings (shown above) and make sure you have a minimum and a maximum. If these settings are missing then you may need to install a driver from the Alienware website as I explained above..

big.jpgmini.jpg

My 2 computers..i attached pictures..
The one with the 8 cores is the alienware..throttle down works
The other one IS NOT an alienware..its my acer..so i cant put any alienware programs on it..so alienware drivers is not an option...i need something else..
and the setting about the processor in the power options in the acer pc are different from the other and do not have the option of min & max pprocessor state..
And as you can see from up right of the screenshot the 4 core pc does not throttle down..

Any suggestions of a program that i can manually throttle it down?

View attachment 11226View attachment 11227

My 2 computers..i attached pictures..
The one with the 8 cores is the alienware..throttle down works
The other one IS NOT an alienware..its my acer..so i cant put any alienware programs on it..so alienware drivers is not an option...i need something else..
and the setting about the processor in the power options in the acer pc are different from the other and do not have the option of min & max pprocessor state..
And as you can see from up right of the screenshot the 4 core pc does not throttle down..

Any suggestions of a program that i can manually throttle it down?
How about Notebook Hardware Control (NHC).
Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) - Homepage, Downloads, Help, Docu, FAQ, News - www.NotebookHardwareControl.net

It allows you to specify processor speed s well as set it up to throttle back in response to demand automatically.
I've been using it on my Acer for a couple of years now.

Please follow kemical's suggestions, except just replace the reference to alienware with acer. If it worked with Windows 7 starter, then it should also work with your current version of Windows 7. When you upgraded / reinstalled to your new version of Windows 7 you are likely missing some drivers and or proprietary vendor applications that support this function. Check for updates for drivers (chipset, audio, video, etc.) as well as a possible BIOS update and then any apps that they have that might be titled something like OS enhancements for Windows 7.
Keep us posted
Randy

i installed anything i found on acer website..but they dont have any drivers for 64bit computers in their website..The only thing i didnt do is the BIOS update..i think i will give that a shot..you think that is the reason? By the way the notebook is Acer D255 with an atom processor N550 dual core @ 1.5ghz .. is there somewhere else to look for 64bit drivers?

Please follow kemical's suggestions, except just replace the reference to alienware with acer. If it worked with Windows 7 starter, then it should also work with your current version of Windows 7. When you upgraded / reinstalled to your new version of Windows 7 you are likely missing some drivers and or proprietary vendor applications that support this function. Check for updates for drivers (chipset, audio, video, etc.) as well as a possible BIOS update and then any apps that they have that might be titled something like OS enhancements for Windows 7.
Keep us posted
Randy

i installed anything i found on acer website..but they dont have any drivers for 64bit computers in their website..The only thing i didnt do is the BIOS update..i think i will give that a shot..you think that is the reason? By the way the notebook is Acer D255 with an atom processor N550 dual core @ 1.5ghz .. is there somewhere else to look for 64bit drivers?

Nope, I really don't. The reason being that the feature seemed to work with the factory installation of Windows 7 Starter. The fact that there are not drivers for the 64bit version of Windows 7 that you evidently presently have installed is probably more likely the cause. The only other possible resource for 64bit driver versions might be from the hardware device manufacturer's website. So if you can determine the actual Motherboard manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number, Rev. number, you might try there.
Did you try the app that Frank linked to above.

Last edited:
yeah i have tried it..not working on 64bit..
I realized that after posting the link.
The author is working on a 64 bit version to be released very soon?

The 3.4.3 version shown is a brand new update, the latest update in over 2 years.

Hopefully the 64 bit version will be available sooner rather than later.

Back