Windows 7 How to reinstall the Windows 7 boot files in MBR

saty

Hi, I used to have Windows 7 which works flawlessly... I used to have linux Mint 11 dual booting with Windows 7, I recently upgraded to Linux Mint 12 and from that upgrade I cannot see the windows 7 option in the boot menu.. I tried to reinstall the boot loader of windows 7 from the Windows 7 CD but when I press "Repair Your Computer" then it does not show any operating system existing on my computer... Please help me install the boot menu in the MBR again. Thanks in advance:)

What is you system booting to right now?

Are you sure you did not overwrite the windows 7 install?

If you boot to the install DVD, and repair, the Startup Repair should restore the Windows 7 boot, and it may have to be run several times. If you are using a Repair CD, it might not (but not really sure about this) see the Windows 7 install. I don't remember, but have you tried repairing even though it does not find an installation?

There be more information about this situation on the Linux boards. If you notice anything about using Bootsect /nt60 to restore the Windows 7 boot, that might be relevant. Also, a Bootrec /fixMBR command might restore the Windows 7 boot, both of which need to be run from a command prompt in the Windows Recovery Environment. Check the following reference:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Back
Top Bottom