how to remove acrotray (and other start up services)

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Tutorials' started by BigRedDog, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BigRedDog

BigRedDog New Member

Hi everyone,

I like to keep my comp to boot up as clean as possible. I have a problem whenever I remove acrotray or itunes serviecs in Start up. I already remove it from MSCONFIG.

The problem is the next time I log in, it will generate a second acrotray startup. This second item will be checked and it is loaded as well.

Is there a way I can remove it from loading during start up once and for all? I suspect i might have to edit registry key. Just not sure where to go about doing that.

As I mentioned before, this second loading also happen to iTune as well.

Thanks!
    Cliff

2. badrobot

badrobot Senior Member

You also need to go to Task Manager>>> Processes tab>>> highlight "Acrotray.exe" and click "End Process" button on the bottom right corner of the Task Manager window. Restart your PC.

3. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Autoruns, free from the link below is much more powerful than msconfig and will give you much more control over startup programs. It is especially useful to be able to just disable/enable startups to test for effect of anything you're unsure of:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  4. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

A generally good and simple tool is Revo Uninstaller. It gives the possibility to control autoruns.