pstein

Extraordinary Member
At first I connect a SmartPhone through USB cable to my WinDesktop computer and open a directory on this SmartPhone in my local Windows Explorer.

The default view is (presumably) "Media View".
Right side of WinExplorer shows columns like Artist, Track number, Type" although I am browsing a pure data file directory on the SmartPhone.
On the other side I miss the column like "Last Modified date".

What I want to achieve is that the default view ion the right side of WinExplorer is exactly like for all the other directories on my Win7 system: "General View".

Ok I could manually customize all the columns according to my preferences. But at next connect it is the initial "Media View" again.

This is unnecessary and annoying.

WinExplorer seems to identify the SmartPhone always as media.

How can I enforce the "General View" for SmartPhones as default view for the future?

As a workaround: How can I assign the current "General View" columns/settings completely to "Media View" settings without adjusting it all manually?
Is there a registry key for the View setups which can be copied?

Peter

Solution
To change the default view in Windows Explorer for your SmartPhone or any device recognized as media storage, you can adjust the folder template.
Here's how you can enforce a specific view for such devices:

1. View Template Adjustments:
- Connect your SmartPhone to your computer.
- Open the directory on your SmartPhone in Windows Explorer.
- Customize the columns as desired (e.g., add "Last Modified date") in this directory.
- In Windows Explorer, go to the "View" tab on the top of the window.
- Click on "Options" and then "Change folder and search options."
- In the Folder Options window, go to the "View" tab.
- Click on "Apply to Folders" under the "Folder views" section.
- Confirm the changes.

To change the default view in Windows Explorer for your SmartPhone or any device recognized as media storage, you can adjust the folder template.
Here's how you can enforce a specific view for such devices:

1. View Template Adjustments:
- Connect your SmartPhone to your computer.
- Open the directory on your SmartPhone in Windows Explorer.
- Customize the columns as desired (e.g., add "Last Modified date") in this directory.
- In Windows Explorer, go to the "View" tab on the top of the window.
- Click on "Options" and then "Change folder and search options."
- In the Folder Options window, go to the "View" tab.
- Click on "Apply to Folders" under the "Folder views" section.
- Confirm the changes.

2. Registry Tweaks (Advanced):
- To enforce these settings globally or make them default for media devices, you might need to delve into the registry.
- Adjusting specific folder views via registry editing can be complex and risky if done improperly. It's recommended for advanced users.
- You would typically need to locate the registry keys governing folder templates and customize them for different views.

3. Third-Party Tools:
- There are third-party tools available that can help manage and customize folder templates in Windows Explorer more easily.
- Tools like "Q-Dir" or "FreeCommander" offer advanced file manager features that might provide the customization you need.

By applying these changes or using specific tools, you should be able to set a default view for media devices like your SmartPhone in Windows Explorer and potentially customize folder views for specific types of storage devices.

Solution
Back