How to stop spam

I started to think - now that's positive - about what legislation we have about spam. In my opinion, it's not only morally and ethically wrong, but it's also criminal. On the other hand, to criminalize it may not be so easy, because it doesn't affect ones computer like viruses etc. do. Spam doesn't penetrate, it's more like commercials on TV, you can't watch TV without encountering commercials. It's more an issue of harassment, and disturbance of personal / domestic peace.

The question is quite intriguing, we're sort of in a twilight zone of All is free for everyone, but everyone has the right to computer ownership and privacy, the latter pretty much what the Linux community has manifested. In the jungle of existence, it's a bit like George Orwell's Animal Farm, All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Briefly, of which I may not be known, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spam_legislation_by_country#cite_note-oecd-5

It gives a glimpse of the situation. Something has been done by legislators.

but everyone has the right to computer ownership and privacy,

Only until you get on the internet... at that point your rights are void.

The spam act of 2003 (Australia) is not enforced i.e. not a true law and doesn't cover any thing coming over the internet from overseas... it is worse than having no rules at all because the iis still expects web hosters to somehow magicly follow it!

Only until you get on the internet... at that point your rights are void.

The spam act of 2003 (Australia) is not enforced i.e. not a true law and doesn't cover any thing coming over the internet from overseas... it is worse than having no rules at all because the iis still expects web hosters to somehow magicly follow it!

While I agree with you that futile legislation is worth limited, like everything futile is, I do consider every step taken to stop illegal and harassing activities to be valuable. And I, I don't loose my privacy rights by ANYTHING. Not by attending a Club, not by anything. Unless I admit, but even then I have the right to withdraw.

And the view that having some wanting rules to be worse than having no rules at all... quite appalling. Many of our laws were quite inadequate, until approved. Laws and rules are worked out, they don't pop out in a second.

Even this Forum has rules.

Cheerio :)

I have been spotting spams very regularly.
One fact to be certain is ....... the spam post is also always the first post by the "new" member/spammer.

In some forums, the FIRST post of a new member does not get posted automatically until it is "approved" by moderation.
This definitely will stop spams from flooding the forums.
Perhaps, the admins here would give this practice a consideration ?
Well I have just posted a thread in Feedback forum and it told me it's under moderation. And I am NOT a new member. I don't know why that s.

It depends on what you post. If it looks like possible spam it will be flagged up.

I cleared it for it to be posted so know what it contained. Sometimes the spam catcher does flag up what seems ordinary stuff... Don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom