Windows 7 How to turn "security" OFF?

srleslie

Win7 is driving me nuts. I just tried to link Audacity to the lame_enc.dll mp3 encoder, but it couldn't find it in c:\windows\system32, where it was (according to xplorer2) and where it was supposed to be. I had to move it to another folder before the link would happen.

I'm the only one who has access to this computer, let alone uses it, and I'm SICK of fighting with "permissions," "blocking," and all the rest of "security." Isn't there some way to just turn it all off?

Already done. Audacity.exe still couldn't find a dll in System32, and there's a bunch of other times I've tried to access, say, Documents and settings, only to be told I don't "have permission." I don't even know where that's coming from! Has nothing to do with User Account Control; that just turns on or off the dialog boxes that pop up every time a program tries to do something that isn't Microsoft-boring. There's a section in Control Panel that does permissions and such, but it's totally confusing--I wish someone would do a good tutorial on that.

Many times it is not entirely the OS (Windows 7) that is too blame, but software having difficulties rewriting for the OS. For Audacity, fo example, have a look here:
Lame_enc.dll - Lame_enc.dll Not Found - Download LAME MP3 Encoder - Audacity LAME MP3

The message "(approx) "you do not have permission....etc" is not generated by the UAC, which only gives a warning message and no other protection.
You do not specify any further, which particular parts you do not have permission for?
Some of the folders which you previously used in XP, are now, for backward compatibility, used only as junction folders. When an older program is installed, these folders redirect to the new folders, which are all now accessible under username. You cannot enter these folders with adjusting the security, and it is unwise, even then, to do so.
You can improve the situation by opening the "Global" administrator account. To do this:

There are a couple of ways:

Open a command prompt(Run as Administrator.)
Type the following command and enter.
net user administrator /active
Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.
Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2. (or Open the Start menu, and type lusrmgr.msc )
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.
The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

Mike I turned it off shortly after I got Vista! With a single user it's more trouble than it's worth.
Joe

Now that's an explanation I could get my teeth into! Thanks, and you've given me much to work on.

The lame_enc.dll issue is resolved (I'd forgotten I'd donated $10 for the package to the authorized downloader and it was still in my download folder) and the Advice.com point about rogue dll download sites is well taken.

"Some of the folders which you previously used in XP, are now, for backward compatibility, used only as junction folders...You cannot enter these folders with adjusting the security, and it is unwise, even then, to do so."

Okay, that explains a lot. Much as I hate change, I can adapt if I have some understanding of what it is. Now I do.

I haven't gotten to the Global Administrator process yet, but have no doubt that exploring it will do me good.

Thanks again.

I've made peace with Windows security, but in the process created the Global Admin account you described. Now I have two options every time I boot up or restart. Thoreau said "simplify, simplify" (or was that Gandhi?): Is there any way to remove the second account? Control Panel/User Accounts/Manage another account (select the unwanted administrator account) lets me change account name or password as well as a few other things, but not delete it. Booting to Safe Mode with Networking won't let me do it either. What's the secret?

Back