Windows 7 How to use USB 3.0 without OS?

TRSS

Hello, dear members and web travellers!
I need some thoughts and tips on an issue with booting from a flash drive.

Today I used the application WinToUsb to install a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit on a SanDisk thumbstick which uses a USB 3.0 connection.

Now I want to boot from this stick what does not work when I plug the flash drive into a USB 3.0 hub because my machine does not detect it at all. It works when I use a USB 2 hub but that takes an eternity to load all the files!

Actually I did install a USB 3.0 driver but this only works on an already running operating system of course. Hence, I need to know if I can somehow make my motherboard support USB 3.0 natively... the one I use is called Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 - I wonder if a BIOS update can help but there is no information to be found when I use Google for search.

Though I still count on the awesome community of Windowsforum to help me out.

thanks in advance!
TRSS

Now I want to boot from this stick what does not work when I plug the flash drive into a USB 3.0 hub because my machine does not detect it at all. It works when I use a USB 2 hub but that takes an eternity to load all the files!

www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/ said:
Windows 7/2008 R2 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, so Windows 7/2008 R2 will have to be booted from a USB 2.0 port.

Actually I did install a USB 3.0 driver but this only works on an already running operating system of course. Hence, I need to know if I can somehow make my motherboard support USB 3.0 natively... the one I use is called Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 - I wonder if a BIOS update can help but there is no information to be found when I use Google for search.

I am having a hard time understanding the question here. The part where you ask about make my motherboard support USB 3.0 natively. What I know of it is that 3.0 is different from previous USB because it has a modified pin out. It is backwards compatible, but it is either a 3.0 or its not, you can't make it support 3.0.

Welcome to the past, Mr Evers! :up:

If there is an urgent need to clarify my question, I may say that my mainboard's USB 3.0 hubs do not work without a running operating system which has the required drivers installed! This allows me to say that my mainboard does not support USB 3.0 natively.

I come to this conclusion because my flash drive with USB 3.0 plug cannot be detected if being installed in a USB 3.0 hub. But when plugged into one of the USB 2.0 hubs *TA DA!* the drive works.
The problem is that I cannot wait to load multiple gigabytes of data with the speed of USB 2.

And yes, I restarted my machine (custom build from 2010) a couple of times and used different ports each try.

SO!

The question now is, if there is a way to enable the USB 3.0 ports.
awesome-face.png

You may return back to the future now - make sure to achieve 88mph!

If there is an urgent need to clarify my question, I may say that my mainboard's USB 3.0 hubs do not work without a running operating system which has the required drivers installed! This allows me to say that my mainboard does not support USB 3.0 natively.

No mobo will work with out an OS installed...this includes all ports not just USB.

I come to this conclusion because my flash drive with USB 3.0 plug cannot be detected if being installed in a USB 3.0 hub. But when plugged into one of the USB 2.0 hubs *TA DA!* the drive works.

You need your mobo drivers installed, usually this is with the chipset driver.

custom build from 2010

With a custom build you need to install all the drivers for your mobo for it to operate correctly. With your USB 3.0 ports not working....is one of two possiblities; the USB 3.0 header is not plug in to mobo or you don't have the correct driver installed.

Can you please list your complete system specs....be as detailed as possible. Thank you.

@bassfisher6522
Thanks for chiming in! Lemme just plough through your statements...

> "No mobo will work with out an OS installed"
Haha, I don't see the logic in this phrase :shocked:
As I said, the USB 2 hubs work even without a running operating system (you mean that with "OS", don't you?)

> "You need your mobo drivers installed, usually this is with the chipset driver."
Ok yes, but as a casual consumer there is no way to change the southbridge drivers which control the USB hubs, right?

> "With a custom build you need to install all the drivers for your mobo for it to operate correctly"
Yup, this is what I am at! But how can I install a driver on the mainboard?

> "Can you please list your complete system specs....be as detailed as possible." :blow:
Nah thanks, I am fine. As I said initially, my mainboard is the GA-790XTA-UD4. I think this is the only component which really matters for this issue.

> "To create a bootable USB, you 2 things, first the ISO and software to create the bootable device"
Cough, cough. I think I already said that I successfully created a bootable flash drive with Win 7.

> "the USB 3.0 header is not plug in to mobo or you don't have the correct driver installed"
The hubs work flawlessly under control of Windows 7.

So........... in a nutshell, my title says everything in fact.

@TRSS There isn't any "BIOS drivers". A BIOS is set up to read devices and then give that information to the OS to match it up with the appropriate drivers. I guess there could be a no boot clause in the BIOS, though that would be set in the code, that is if there is not a no boot option or boot order in the config. If the no boot is set in code it would require an update from either Gigabyte, AwardBIOS, or write your own code and insert it. The next idea that I can up with is the hub. It could be that the 3.0 is not liking the hub you are running through. I would say to connect it strait to the 3.0 port and see if that works better.

Then it just leaves one thing that could be the issue; defective mobo.

Or could be a bios setting to do with legacy usb or maybe a xhci or ehci setting in the bios. My current board boots from usb 3.0 fine so I'm guessing it a bios setting. ALso if secure boot it enabled the stick with need to be created so it works with efi

@Christopher Evers, kindly and politely, refer to your Avatar: Yes, I am from the past. But without the past you wouldn't have the present. In fact you were made in the past.

Cheerio.

It is backwards compatible, but it is either a 3.0 or its not, you can't make it support 3.0.

The power needs are different... I assume this is what Gigabyte is on about i.e. that port has better power (or even its own fuse) but I don't work for them so maybe not.

@Christopher Evers, kindly and politely, refer to your Avatar: Yes, I am from the past. But without the past you wouldn't have the present. In fact you were made in the past.

Cheerio.

The Avatar is from a TV Show The IT Crowd, So I wouldn't take any offence at it. Is a very funny show

It could be UEFI, some motherboards dont like USB booting thanks to it, heaven forbid you might try installing linux oh noes!

Back