Windows Vista HP PC(G60 235DX) with Microsoft Windows Vista) (Does not start after pressing power button)

nhlblues

Hello:

I have a HP laptop (G60 235DX) and ~3 times over the past 6 months when I pressed the power button to turn on the computer, a message came on the screen that said that the computer was unable to start and that the solution(s) to solve the problem(s) would be sought to provide me an answer. When the process stopped and the problem(s) could not be fixed, the message then stated that I should contact Microsoft for their assistance in solving the problem(s). Microsoft does not support Microsoft Windows Vista anymore.

I manually shut down the computer and then pressed the power button after waiting ~30 seconds and the computer (Vista) came back on showing the usual desktop and all the icons that previously were on the desktop, and the laptop worked as it did before the note on the screen. This scenario was the same for all the previous episodes of originally not being able to start Vista, but able to open Vista following the same procedure as before.

Question #1: Does the inability to start Vista, as mentioned above, mean that the PC may soon be inoperable and that I should purchase another PC as soon as possible? If the PC is inoperable, would I still be able to save all the data on the hard drive by taking the PC to a repair shop and having a computer repair person burn the transferable material onto an external hard drive or is all the data that is permissible to transfer to an external hard drive only able to be transferred when the HP laptop is functioning normally (Vista opens when the power button is pressed)?

Question #2: I would like to know the correct procedure for backing up all the eligible data on the HP laptop (G60 235DX) on my external hard drive, as I want to do the backup as soon as possible. What programs, etc. are not eligible to transfer onto an external hard drive?

Any recommendation(s) as to a reputable PC repair shop that you could include in your reply pertaining to my Vista problem until I can transfer all the eligible material to an external hard drive?

Sincerely,

John G. Krueger

Does the inability to start Vista, as mentioned above, mean that the PC may soon be inoperable and that I should purchase another PC as soon as possible?
Yes and No.....2 possibilities here; one is your OS is corrupted/missing some system files and needs to be repaired and 2 your HDD is going bad.

If the PC is inoperable, would I still be able to save all the data on the hard drive
Yes....you can do this your self. Make a bootable USB Linux distro (I like Linux Mint Mate). Then you can boot from the USB and search your HDD and move/backup data.
: I would like to know the correct procedure for backing up all the eligible data on the HP laptop (G60 235DX) on my external hard drive, as I want to do the backup as soon as possible. What programs, etc. are not eligible to transfer onto an external hard drive?
There's not really 1 correct way as there are many different ways and options. As mentioned above you can do it yourself and there's plenty of youtube videos out there that show exactly how to do that.

If you take it to a repair shop.....be repaired to open your wallet, can be very expensive. As to a recommendation; that's not so easy, as it's based on where you are located.

If it's a Vista laptop it's probably around 10 years old at this point. You could buy a new laptop for as little as $300, $500 for a mid level device. A repair shop such as Best Buy Geek squad is likely going to charge to about $300 and about $80 to do the data back up. Other shops will likely be similarly priced, so basically you're going to spend what an new entry level device would cost.

Thank you for the information. I started the backup myself on an external hard drive and the files are supposed backed up on the external hard drive and placed in a folder called "Vista". When the backup supposedly was completed, I noticed that there was no such folder on the external hard drive labeled "Vista". There was ample space to begin with on the external hard drive. Also, there was the same amount of free space on the external hard drive before as well as after the "backup".

Back