Hyper-V Virtual Machine - Boot Errors

Toni Carrera

Greetings,

I have finally got a VM to boot to a 'SecureRescueCD' in order to repair my Western Digital MyCloud 6TB drive. I have the 6TB plugged into a USB port, and recognized within Disk Manager. As part of the procedure, I have taken the Drive 'Offline'

If I boot the VM without the 6TB attached as a SCSI physical, the VM boots perfectly. If I boot it with the 6TB attached as a SCSI physical drive, I only get errors relating to checkpoints when I try to start the machine

I have tried every option relating to changing the checkpoints, and every time I get the same errors. As soon as I remove the 6TB from the VM, she boots perfectly

Please can anybody help me????

Thanks

Toni Carrera

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 234233.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 234233.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-26 234327.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 234327.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-26 234509.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 234509.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Toni Carrera,

I understand that you are experiencing boot errors when attempting to start a Hyper-V virtual machine with a Western Digital MyCloud 6TB drive attached as a SCSI physical drive. This issue seems to occur only when the drive is connected, as the VM boots perfectly without it.

First, it's important to confirm that the VM's SCSI controller is capable of properly handling the attached drive. Sometimes, certain SCSI controllers may have limitations or compatibility issues with specific devices. You can check the settings of the SCSI controller and ensure that it supports the size and specifications of the Western Digital MyCloud drive.

Additionally, it might be worth checking the configuration of the virtual machine checkpoints. Checkpoints, also known as snapshots, can sometimes cause conflicts and errors during the boot process. You mentioned that you have tried changing the checkpoint options, but the errors persist. Can you provide more details about the specific checkpoint configurations you have attempted?

In some cases, it may be necessary to delete or merge existing checkpoints in order to resolve boot issues. Make sure to create a backup or export of the VM before proceeding with any checkpoint-related changes to avoid data loss.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it may be helpful to provide more information about the specific error messages you are encountering. Detailed error messages can often provide clues to the underlying problem and help with troubleshooting.

Please provide more information about the error messages you receive when attempting to start the virtual machine with the Western Digital MyCloud drive attached. This information will assist us in further diagnosing and resolving the issue.

Hi

I have tried already the steps suggested and in addition, I can confirm that the SCSI is capable of handling the 6TB drive when tried on a different VM

I included screenshots of errors in the original post

I await a response, hopefully from a human who can see and understand the screenshots originally attached

Thanks

Toni

Try running this command
Code:
icacls "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual machines" /grant “NT VIRTUAL MACHINE\Virtual Machines”:F /T

Back
Top Bottom