Windows 7 I experience phpBB websites and Gmail not working correctly -- W7 and XP

StanH

Starting today, my two phpBB forums and all phpBB forums that I can find on the internet load extremely slowly. When they do load they sometimes are not in full graphic mode.

Additionaly Gmail loads slowly if at all. And when it loads, the gmail inbox list does not recognize the left mouse button to open an email. Occasionally Gmail pops up the following message:

Code:
"Error
"Some Gmail features have failed to load due to an Internet connectivity problem. If this problem persists, try reloading the page, or using the basic HTML version. Learn More.

I first saw this on my XP pc. I had Comcast check my cable and it is OK (24mb/sec on a cable rated 12mb/sec using speedtest.net). Next I used my laptop with W7 pro, same cable, and it had similar results, including the ineffective left mouse button.

On the XP machine I had the same results with Firefox and IE.

Any ideas?

I have rebooted my modem and wireless router but it did not make a difference. The problem is most noticeable on my mail.google.com account, so I think I will post something on a google forum.

The following is the way the problem is showing up at this time with this windows 7 support forum. It looks like this.
Code:
Forum: Windows 7 Support

A help and support forum for Windows 7. Discuss and find solutions to general problems not covered in other specific support areas.

Forum Tools
    Search Forum

Sub-Forums Threads / Posts  Last Post

Knowledge Base (KB)

Windows 7 Knowledge Base (KB) RSS Feed captures live, up-to-the-minute technical publications from Microsoft for review and discussion.
        View this forum's RSS feed
        Subscribe to This Forum
        Threads: 1,691
    Last Post:

Long startup or logon time... Go to last Windows 7 Forums post
    by
    bobafanu

11 Hours Ago

Title / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last post byReverse Sort Order

Sticky Thread Sticky: AJAX Update Enabled Tips on using 7
    Started by kemical, 01-15-2009

1 2 3 ... 7

built, burner, good, image 1 Attachment(s)
        Replies: 64
        Views: 55,554

kurteb
        3 Weeks Ago Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

Post Sticky Thread Sticky: List of Site Sponsored Software
    Started by Mike, 09-23-2011
    long, performance, product, software, solution, system, what
        Replies: 1
        Views: 1,634

Mike
        05-24-2012 Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

Sticky Thread Sticky: AJAX Update Enabled Help Us To Help You By Filling In Your System Specs.
    Started by Elmer, 08-28-2011
    forum, forums, great, info, specs, system, windows, your
        Replies: 4
        Views: 2,890

Titanic
        05-12-2012 Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

Lightbulb Sticky Thread Sticky: AJAX Update Enabled Windows 8 Consumer Preview Review @ Windows8Forums.com
    Started by Mike, 03-23-2012
    desktop, forums, take, windows
        Replies: 2
        Views: 1,304

GeekTech
        03-25-2012 Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

<...SNIP...>

Code:
    Go to first new post AJAX Update Enabled Application Icon gone generic
    Started by kevphil, 3 Days Ago
    cut, forum, problem, world
        Replies: 3
        Views: 155

kevphil
        17 Minutes Ago Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

Go to first new post

AJAX Update Enabled XP 32-bit drivers--Which is best? 32-bit Win7 or 64-bit Win7 w/XP Virtual Mode??
    Started by kaz, 1 Day Ago
    bit, home, win, windows
        Replies: 6
        Views: 189

cliffordcooley
        17 Hours Ago Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

AJAX Update Enabled I experience phpBB websites and Gmail not working correctly -- W7 and XP
    Started by StanH, 22 Hours Ago
    features, forums, laptop, problem
        Replies: 0
        Views: 64

StanH
        22 Hours Ago Go to last Windows 7 Forums post

Since this problem happened to both my computers on the same day I suspect that it is caused by an automatic update of some addon that they both have. Maybe even one of those windows fixes. speedtest.com still shows a fast internet. I suspect that its timed signal goes through the modem and router, so I can't figure imagine what else it might be.

Last edited:
You are saying, on this forum you just see text and no graphics?

You are running Firefox, so are any add-ons showing as disabled?

Have you run a virus check?

I am not a programmer, but could it be related to not getting a specific type of HTML code?

Does your router have a built-in firewall?

I think I have solved the problem for now. I say "for now" because I am not certain that I understand why. I disabled Gmail's "chat" option and its sub options. Now Gmail works consistently and so do the non-gmail websites that were malfunctioning for me.

But if Gmail was the culprit then why were other sites effected by the fix? Maybe is because I had Gmail was always loaded in a tab. I wonder if this could allow the Gmail site to change the browsers in a way that effect every other site loaded concurrently on the browser. That is just a conjecture but I can't think of any other way to explain why I effected many other windows open to other sites, like phpBB forums, by changing the settings of Gmail.

You are saying, on this forum you just see text and no graphics?
That was true as you can from my copy of it above. -- but it was intermittent.

You are running Firefox, so are any add-ons showing as disabled?
Have you run a virus check?
Yes. None found.

I am not a programmer, but could it be related to not getting a specific type of HTML code?
Yes. The Gmail interface has a new and old version and I could have effected that.

Does your router have a built-in firewall?
No.
Maybe someone else can explain why changing google fixed non-google problems?

Back